Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,975   Online: 902

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    A good topic with interesting diverse opinions.
    I have posted a picture in the 'standard gallery' that I consider tells the story of past fashion.
    'Determine on some course more than a wild exposure to each chance' The Bard.

Quote Originally Posted by roxer
    Ya, but in my 75 years, I don't quite remember so much of the mediocre work comming to the forferont of fashion....
    I kind of agree but perhaps this is also because of the glut of magazines around compared to the glamour years. Also people today are far more casual in their appearance than back then. Many people go to work dressed in casual clothes, out to dinner etc where back in the 40s and 50s everyone made a point of wearing suits, perhaps partly to look like they were not a laborer but a professional person.

When I was growing up back in the fifties, my father was a mailman. When he was not working he wore a suit and hat. Obviously today that would be strange.

However I still think that there are many photographers today who can and do, great haute couture photography, it's just that it is not the prevalent product being pushed by the fashion houses.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As Michael says the glut of magazines combined with the more casual fashions (or may I add casual attitude to fashion) may be at least partially to blame for the demise.

Stan again another nice picture but for me the best fashion shots didn't seem to concentrate on the model as much as they do these days. Although the model was there to add attitude and many times a celeb name, they were relatively insignificant. The pictures use to concentrate on the clothing being pushed and sets that created an atmosphere that projected the look and message why the buyer should want to part with their cash.

OK neck on the line as it's a matter of taste but this is a recent one I like from the Sunday Telegraph Magazine dated 18 January 2004. Sorry for the lousey scan as it's from a magazine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good picture....although I find the boots come out too big. Wrong lens?
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Hans, For me I think it does what it should as it's about the look which includes the boots. They catch the eye first and the legs lead the eye over the outfit. The model is only a small part of the picture with her providing the frame and angles for the outfit to be seen. In the actual magazine picture the lighting also adds to the effect which is lost in this scan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    mmm...yes Tony...you're right in a way....how about continuing the discussion over a pint at the Lens & Tripod next Saturday?
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clogz
    mmm...yes Tony...you're right in a way....how about continuing the discussion over a pint at the Lens & Tripod next Saturday?
    Hans that's the best suggestions I've heard for a few days, the first round's on me

I was thinking about this over the weekend and it occured to me that perhaps too much credit is given to the photographer over some of these fashion images from the past as well as what we are inundated with today.

Like the movie industry, the marketing of fashion is a collaborative effort and many of the ideas are generated by the art directors long before the photographers are even on board.

In the movies, much too much credit, and blame is directed towards the actor on the success or not, of a movie. It is very often that the producer, director and script have a lot more impact than the performance by any actor.

In the marketing of fashion, as in the movie business, an increasingly large number of the decisions are made by very young people, in their twenties. By the time you're thirty five you're washed up. This is due to the "hipness" quotient that is necessary as everything is directed to a very young buying audience.

I would bet that the art directors for fashion ads today are young people, targeting a young audience, and the sophistication of the past by an older creative team is long gone.

Michael
    Last edited by blansky; 11-29-2004 at 03:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This thread reminded me of a photo by Ruth Orkin that she took at her local grocery store then sold to a fashion magazine the next day as a picture of a "model from real life" or something like that. The idea was that there were people out there in everyday life that looked just as good as fashion models. The picture was of a woman holding a bag of apples that has a visible tear in it. Evidently the bag broke right after she took the shot.

I doubt that you could go to the grocery store today and find a shot that could make it into a fashion magazine of an ordinary, everyday person (i.e., not a model.) Though maybe Ruth Orkin could...
    "I know of no country in which there is so little independence of mind and real freedom of discussion as in America." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    When I was growing up back in the fifties, my father was a mailman. When he was not working he wore a suit and hat. Obviously today that would be strange.
    Are you saying that I'm strange? ;-) People think that shooting film is strange too.

~Karl

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin