Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,669   Online: 1189

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

The Decline of Fashion Photography

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    As always, 'fashion will fade - but style will endure'
    'Determine on some course more than a wild exposure to each chance' The Bard.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    thank you so much for placing this here for many of us to look at. I really haven't looked at the photography in magazine for years. Haven't missed anything!:rolleyes:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think I also have to agree that it's in decline.

There are still some interesting and artistic pictures appearing in some of the Sunday Supplement Magazines that come with newspapers here in the UK, but that is a small percentage. I suspect it has a lot to do with the public as usual who are happy to copy what celebs are wearing as seen in the trashy mags and as seen on television.

As Stan said "style will endure" alas there doesn't seem to be a lot of celebs that know what that means these days

Shooter
    Multi Format

They don't make 'em like they used to

The article reads as a little dated, and vaguely nostalgiac. There is as much good fashion photography to be found today, as there ever was, and surely, as much mediocre work. The author's case for mysogyny in current fashion work, does not persuade. Current, top models, are generally portrayed as the strong, confident women that they are. It is no great insight to compare the best work of the last century with current, mediocre work, and the conclusions reached by such a comparison are fundamentally flawed. To further claim that Irving Penn did not consider himself an artist, is baseless, and specious. It seems as though the author's hindsight is, indeed 20/20, but his vision of the current state of fashion photography is clouded by nastolgia.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nina_brosh_adv_0596.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree the article is dated and by no means objective, however the title of the thread is "The Decline of Fashion Photography" and that I think is the main point. Also some of the early fashion photographers also showed their models as strong and confident women.

Btw nice picture but the point of it is?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fashion, stopped telling a story so long ago, that they are lost in the world, currently fashion is in such a float, that most of the photographers have no idea of the story they are telling, I have not seen a fashion shot for a long time that tells a story, or portrays a lifestyle, most fashion these days, speaks of overindulgence and excess, this is not decline, but a lost focal point in the message they are telling.......

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've noticed a few other things as well. Current trends are not as classy as they once were. If you look at all the classic portraits and fashion, you can see that their clothing designs were very photographable! Unique, clean and simple designs. If you look at today's trends, you see girls wearing low-rise jeans and a scrubby shirt. This isn't really going to stand the test of time. In order for them to make anything look unique these days, they employ raved up clothings with crazy colors and crazy cuts to strive for attention.

For me, there is nothing more beautiful than the elegance dating back to even the 40s.

Has anyone here seen Frida? The movie. Ashley Judd played Tina Modotti in that movie and when they met up for the party, she was amazingly beautiful with the outfit that she was wearing. I was overwhelmed when I saw her in the movie, but didn't even realize it was her until I did some research after.

My Favs:

http://www.fcgundlach.de/portfolio.html
    http://www.peterfetterman.com/artist...li1_pic01.html
    http://www.peterfetterman.com/artist.../faurer01.html

I agree with some aspects where models look weak and fragile in today's fashion. If you look at CK ads, they use models that look like they just got out of rehab.

On the other hand, I've seen some very powerful images as well, such as Julianne Moore on the cover of American Photo. It's both sides of the coin and I think they were referring to the majority trend.

Andy

I think were kind of talking apples and oranges here. In the past, back maybe to the thirties and forties, the movies studios were controlled by a few men who controlled every part of their "stars" lives. They were essentially indentured servants. The studios, in order to keep the illusion of the "dream factory" alive made sure that their stars went out in public in the finest clothing that was available. The hey day of glamour.

In fashion the clothes you are pining for are essentially haute couture. Avedon and Penn et all photographed these fantasy clothes for the big fashion houses and their ultra rich clients.

Today actresses dress down to show that they really are "artists" and wear grubby clothes most of the time. During award season they can be seen wearing designer gowns but that's about it. Most of them look uncomfortable in them because they don't have the chance to wear them often.

The fact of the matter is haute couture is still around and photographed well by people like Avedon, Scavullo, Screbneski (sp?), and a few others. If you look in the right magazines you can still see great photographs and great work as well as lots of mediocre work just like there was in the past.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ya, but in my 75 years, I don't quite remember so much of the mediocre work comming to the forferont of fashion....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin