Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,102   Online: 853

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Oh boy! It's Counterfactual Sunday!

Photography isn't defined by--or limited to--film, sorry.
    He didn't say it was so defined.

However, *I* often say it should be so defined. A lot of confusion might have been avoided if digital had continued to be called "imaging" or some similar term versus traditional "photography." That wouldn't invalidate the former, but it would help demarcate them a bit better. One art is distinguished from another by process, not artifact. Otherwise, "photo-realistic painting" would be the same art as photography, and it clearly isn't. For commercial work, it's the artifact, the finished product, that is defining. Are we talking about art or commercial photography? I include selling the ability to take snapshots of the vacation and kids to the general public as commercial in this case. It sure ain't art.

Even so - yes, and no. I'd probably buy a DSLR since digisnappers are still too limited for me, but I sure wouldn't invest a lot of time and effort into it as I do now. It'd be limited to what the general public mostly does with a camera - records of events and travels and people. I'd make little real effort to make prints to hang on the wall or the like.

I have other hobbies, and I'd spend more time and money on them. When it comes right down to it, it's the process I mostly enjoy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ALL of my money is invested in 6x12cm and 5x7in cameras, lenses and film. Would I give it all up if film went away? Yes, probably, but I've been fooling myself with what I've bought anyway. I'm not in decent health and have a crappy attitude so I don't get out much. FYOOK IT!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    Well of course it's counter factual - its a hypothetical question.
    It's his new favorite babel term. And mine is about to be "FfVb" again, the reason I'm still on Firefox 3.6. It's been very useful on some pilot forums I'm on. I haven't used it here since Aristophanes, but I think that's about to change.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    The truth is, I'm not sure what I'd do (although I don't think it will be an issue, in my lifetime). My brief forays into digital left me extremely unsatisfied. I got no "buzz" from the process. I like the hand-crafted, hands-on, nature of the traditional photographic processes.

This is my opinion as well.

I hate to say it, but I've become so anti-digital that I've gotten to the point that I grit my teeth any time I have to pick up my DSLR. I got tired of all the mindless mouse clicks. Film has helped me find the 'buzz' again, as you called it. Perhaps in the future my views on both film and digital will even out and I'll be able to enjoy both equally again. But if it were to happen tomorrow, and there was no film, I think I'd have to take up painting again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    I meant 'others' as in other brands of film... Like Ilford, Efke, etc. etc.
    Yes, got that. And I am trying (and failing, I'm afraid) to break through the tautology of brainwashing. Forehead bloody. Must go photograph.
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    The truth is, I'm not sure what I'd do (although I don't think it will be an issue, in my lifetime). My brief forays into digital left me extremely unsatisfied. I got no "buzz" from the process. I like the hand-crafted, hands-on, nature of the traditional photographic processes.
    I paid a visit to Sandy King at his home in South Carolina about two years ago. At that time he had sold all his large format equipment and was scanning 6x7 cm negatives made with a Mamiya camera and made enlarged digital negatives for his carbon prints.

The following year at the New England Large Format weekend he gave us a workshop on making digitally enlarged negatives and showed us some beautiful prints made from both enlarged digitally captured negatives and digitally enlarged scanned film negatives.

I had dinner with Sandy and his wife the evening before he left for a trip to China a few weeks ago. He told me then that he was not taking any film cameras at all to China. Only a digital camera with a micro 4/3 sensor. Sandy makes some of the most gorgeous carbon prints you've ever seen. His prints from digitally enlarged 6x7 cm film negatives are indistinguishable to me from the ones made from in camera film negatives at 16" x 20" print size.

So while Sandy doesn't use film any more, his prints are still hand crafted using a 120 year old process. A master carbon printer (and platinum/palladium as well) has gone from large format in camera film negatives to digitally enlarged scanned film negatives to enlarged digitally captured negatives and still maintained his fine print quality. All this over a period of about 4 years.
    Last edited by c6h6o3; 06-10-2012 at 12:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chris- I know many people who enjoy digital (and are doing great work with it), but it's not for me. And, since I don't enjoy it, I doubt that I could get satisfactory results from it. I'm a firm believer that you must have a passion for something, to excel at it.
    I would join Denise and Steve, and find a way to produce my own.

Jim- I wasn't referring to enlarged negatives for alt processes. While I haven't yet explored it, I do consider it hand-crafted, and (I'm sure) it would give me the satisfaction (and passion) I have for traditional film/paper work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure myself. I hardly every use my digital camera.

Jeff

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If this were to actually happen, I can not fathom spending the resources to be able to get into the digital process, I have nothing digital now except a basic camera that my wife uses. Though I love photography and share that it is not defined in the world by film---it is defined in my world by film, in short, it would be over for me. As someone said it earlier, I get no buzz from doing it with mouse clicks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CPorter View Post
    I....it is defined in my world by film, in short, it would be over for me.

Excellently worded sir!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin