Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,904   Online: 1165

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I certainly wouldn't give it up. Anyway....look at the impossible project....if there's any demand someone will make it.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I would have a hard time solarizing my work if film went.... but we had that new Hasselblad camera with 80 megabites here the other day for a job, and it looked pretty fine... start saving my pennies now for that one.

Many creative artists have proven that commercial film or paper for that matter is not needed to make world class images and prints.
    I too have seen Sandy's work and others where commercial film or paper is not needed, in fact its an area beyond my personal solarized work that is of keen interest.

I just happen to love FP4 film and Ilford Warmtone silver paper and will continue to use it till no longer available. But I certainly would love that new Hasselblad, anyone who really loves photography should have the same feelings. IMO there is a level playing field these days for both digital and film equipment and basically its the person who uses the tools well are those whose work is worth looking at.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    ALL of my money is invested in 6x12cm and 5x7in cameras, lenses and film. Would I give it all up if film went away? Yes, probably, but I've been fooling myself with what I've bought anyway. I'm not in decent health and have a crappy attitude so I don't get out much. FYOOK IT!!
    You need a hobby.
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    You need a hobby.
    I'm trying to revive my hobby... my love of photography from 30+ years ago... but it's a losing battle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would spend a lot less time doing it that's for sure. I have a hard time believing B&W would ever disappear completely though.

Digital requires so much computer time, which is not what I want to be doing for fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    If there were no film... would you give up photography?
    Yes.

Shooter
    35mm
    I will have to shoot digital!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, I will not give up photography. I hate editing digital files, that is why I use film (also I am enjoying the darkroom work), but I still use digital cameras, I just shoot BW jpegs. I enjoy both so I will still continue.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    .... would you give up photography?

If Fuji, and Kodak, and the others decided to stop making film because it was no longer profitable - and your hoarded stock in the chest freezer ran out.... would you give up photography completely? Or start buying megapixels?
    I think I would re-mortgage the house to have Leitz engineers make me a digital Leica M2. The film version would be put in some holy shrine that I could handle and sit with for moments of contemplation. When the images from the digital version come up on the computer screen monitor I would make sketches of them.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    A lot of confusion might have been avoided if digital had continued to be called "imaging" or some similar term versus traditional "photography." That wouldn't invalidate the former, but it would help demarcate them a bit better. One art is distinguished from another by process, not artifact. Otherwise, "photo-realistic painting" would be the same art as photography, and it clearly isn't.
    Webster ( http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/photography ) defines photography as: "the art or process of producing images by the action of radiant energy and especially light on a sensitive surface (as film or a CCD chip)". This encompasses lots of different light sensitive media possibilities but DOESN"T encompass 'photo-realistic painting'.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin