Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,783   Online: 731

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i wouldn't give up anything.
    i'm headed back in time anyways,
    i just need a bowler hat and a velocipede
    besides, i find very little of my photography
    has anything to do with film ...
    Last edited by jnanian; 06-10-2012 at 05:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot plenty of both technologies; the electrocuted bits for instant gratification or documentation and (mostly) B&W film for my artistic warm fuzzies. I would not stop taking pictures if film went away, but at 71, I doubt I'll have to face that issue (if it ever happens). It may get more expensive.

Heck, there are still painters using encaustic to make images, painting with pigments in melted wax, a technique that goes back fairly early in the history of Egypt. Of course, even that has had some technology upgrades, one guy I've seen uses little tin cups in an electric frying pan for a "hot palette!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I got no "buzz" from the process.
    You need more ether.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No way! Film is just another medium to me as I enjoyed using both film and that D-word. I doubt film will be gone in my lifetime I hope (I'm in my 40's) so I don't worry about it.

Nope. I would make my own. No worries for printing either as I'm into carbon transfer and kallitype.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Here's another thing to consider: x-ray film. X-ray film is available in 8x10 and up, and it's so very, very cheap. 26 cents per sheet. TWENTY SIX FRICKIN' CENTS FOR A SHEET OF 8x10!!! I just spent about $15 per sheet for Kodak E100G 8x10.

Can anybody spot a price differential??

Now, are all of the doctor's offices going to switch to digital cassettes? How about the veterinarians, too? Lots of 8x10 and up xray film being used, again and again and again. So x-ray film would also have to go for me to give up film photography.

And then I would be coating glass plates and all of the rest of it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Would I give up photography. No way! I have no beef with digital as a creative tool. I love film too. I have 40 years worth of negs to print so will always have a darkroom. I love "photography" not the process.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm
    If I could no longer get any commercially-manufactured film, I would start coating my own glass plates. I have never done this but I would learn. In fact, I am hoping to do this anyway.

Seriously, I don't believe film will die, as in dead, buried, and forgotten. Will the manufacturers and the market change? Of course. But painting did not die with the advent of photography, and acoustic music did not die with the advent of the synthesizer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No way - I have loved digital in the past. I would learn to re-love digital if this was ever to occur.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good question.

I think, at this point, I would loose a lot of the love and "buzz" I had for photography if I could no longer buy/process film. I wouldn't go so far to say I'm anti-digital, but I do have a lot of pessimism towards it. But then again, if I gave up photography, it would create a massive hole in my life, so I just couldn't give up photography. As hoffy says, I loved digital in the past, I'm sure I'd learn to love it again. I'm just not sure it'd be with a DSLR. I'd probably be happy with a M9 or X100.

But I don't see film dying for a very, very, very long time, if ever. I think at this point, film is stabilizing in terms of usage and sales in general (as opposed to the decline of the past 12 years). From here on out, I suppose there will be a roughly similar demand for film, at least for the next while. At the very least, we'll have Ilford for a long while.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin