Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,344   Online: 766

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    You guys are right. Going back and reading the "CD" bit, it's a poor explanation of how I feel about it.
    Like many others, one of the reasons I went back to film is having to spend a fair bit of time working with a computer already.
    And, to answer the question, (something I never did the first time around), yes, I would quit it as a hobby or art form, and just shoot digital to record certain of life's events.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I almost always play some jazz while printing (usually streaming WWOZ from New Orleans)

Right on!!! One of my favorite stations! I'm from Lafayette, and NOLA is my old stomping grounds. Nothing better than NOLA jazz!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Another film vs digital debate... here on APUG!?

Which was NOT the intent of the original question, to be clear.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No, I wouldn't give up photography if film disappeared entirely. I've got one foot planted in the old and the new, and while I most enjoy making photos using film what matters in the end is the result. I have a hard time imagining Ansel Adams turning up his nose at Photoshop.

I've found when I tell people I'm shooting film, they usually don't care. A few will emote some surprise to see a film camera in my hands (like the guy who asked if I was using a film camera last weekend at the local regatta event), but most of the time their eyes glaze over. Non-photographers don't care how I produced a good image. They just like the result or they don't.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I like the analog process, but for me it's the preferred means to an end, not the only acceptable means. I can't paint, draw, sculpt, play an instrument, sing, or dance. My photographs are the way I express myself, and there's no way I'd give it up because I had to use a different set of intermediate steps to get from point A ("seeing") to point B (the end result), neither of which have changed. I appreciate that for some people, those intermediate steps are so important that they'd rather walk away than change, but I can't imagine doing that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    I have absolutely no belief in "digital photography", neither as an 'art' or as a 'science' propagated by digital fanbois.
    You have no idea what you are talking about!
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    It is possible to draw and make photographs. Not at the same time of course...
    Quite true, but between my day job, music, photography etc, there is only time for so much if I want more than half-assed results. I still paint, but it is a little lower on the priority list for now so I do things very slowly. So what I really meant is if analog photography ceased to exist I'd spend more time on other stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=Bill Burk;1354679]
    Another droll thought to ponder... what if a fire destroyed all your negatives, cameras and darkroom equipment?

Would you pit your hobby money on rebuilding it all from scratch? Or would you go another direction...
    QUOTE]

Bill - I've actually thought about this and I worry about it fairly often. Even with insurance money, rebuilding the gear would be a daunting task, and I'm not sure I'd have it in me. Virtually nothing is readily available anymore, if at all in some cases. Nearly everything would be some kind of special order that would take many months. What a nightmare.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Another droll thought to ponder... what if a fire destroyed all your negatives, cameras and darkroom equipment?

Would you pit your hobby money on rebuilding it all from scratch? Or would you go another direction...
    Rebuild, lots of pictures out there still to be taken and printed
    Andy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Bill - I've actually thought about this and I worry about it fairly often. Even with insurance money, rebuilding the gear would be a daunting task, and I'm not sure I'd have it in me. Virtually nothing is readily available anymore, if at all in some cases. Nearly everything would be some kind of special order that would take many months. What a nightmare.
    Talked to fireman over the weekend, our local prospects getting dim as budget crises transfer support out of town. They can't even enter home until an out-of-town truck arrives. When it was local, they would "break" the rules by saying they thought someone was inside. An out-of-town department won't care.

If it happened, I think we would band together as brothers/sisters and bring together support...

The story about Bruce Davidson being mugged on subway reminded me that theft is only a minor setback. They wouldn't get the negatives or the darkroom...

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin