Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,564   Online: 885

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Jon Goodman's ebay business down the drain

I was looking for Jon Goodman's light sealing material the other day and found that he has nothing in store on ebay ('interslice'). So I sent him an ebay message asking to buy some more of the stuff I once ordered from him. The following reply came in:

Hello Sander,
    Thank you very much for the message. Three years ago I was forced to start selling only pre-cut kits. Another seller on eBay was buying the general kits, cutting them into pre-cut kits and selling the instructions I'd written with my name removed. When I refused to sell him any more kits, I learned he had assembled a network of shill buyers to get the kits for him. Sadly eBay was of limited to no help as they've now geared the predominant part of their protection efforts away from sellers and toward buyers. So, no eBay protection means they no longer get the considerable monthly income I was giving them. Sorry for the bad news, but for the future I'll only be selling pre-cut kits. If you'd like to discuss those, please contact me directly at jgood21967(at)aol(dot)com
    Hope all is well with you.
    Best regards,
    Jon

Ebay sucks! (And yet I continue using the system- for some items and if you're a buyer then all of a sudden it sucks a whole lot less. Sort of sad, perhaps of me as well.)

Jon has offered to send some of the 2-mm strips that I've run out of, but he no longer sells the general kits (those not for one particular type of camera), only the pre-cut camera-dedicated kits.

Just thought that others may like to know what happened to Jon's ebay business and where to contact him now.

Sorry if this has been reported before.

Sander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, evilpay sucks. I stopped using them several years ago.

Jon sells excellent kits. I just got one from him a few weeks ago.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's a damn shame! I've bought several from Jon, who is a really terrific guy, and is my first and only choice for superb products.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been ordering kits from Jon almost monthly. It's actually been easier not having to go through the 'bay. A while ago he did mention that he would like to start his own website, but that idea seems to have fallen by the wayside.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think, as a society, we've lost so much civility in the digital age that this sort of behavior has become commonplace. I recall a wedding photographer whose carefully set up and arranged group shot was captured "over the shoulder" by an Uncle Bob wannabe, and the results ended up published in a bridal magazine.

I mean, there have always been low-lifes who'll steal and copy another's work, but it just seems now, with the internet and digital, there's more of them.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just ordered some 2mm light seals directly from Jon. Who needs ebay?

Jon told me he'd be wanting to set up a website but that he's been short of time for a while now.

He's a great guy to deal with and I have no doubt whatsoever that once something takes off it will be successful.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Could those of you who fault eBay please explain what you think the company should have done in this situation?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I do not know enough about law to answer that question. However, ebay's failure to act feels wrong, both morally and business wise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's a bit like buying an unreliable car from an advertisement in a newspaper then blaming the paper for allowing it.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sandermarijn View Post
    Ebay sucks! (And yet I continue using the system- for some items and if you're a buyer then all of a sudden it sucks a whole lot less. Sort of sad, perhaps of me as well.)
    Ebay doesn't suck. Ebay had NOTHING to do with it.

Greedy scum-sucking liars and cheats suck.

A long time ago I had a similar situation happen. My business was so small that we invested in lawyers to put the greedy scum-sicking liar and cheat out of business... but then we went under too. The cost of the legal action broke our back.

Please get it straight and stop accusing the innocent (in this situation) of sucking.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin