Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,528   Posts: 1,543,952   Online: 1087

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I will be 74 July 1. Now I expect happy biirthday wishes to come my way. I have been photgraphing,with film since I was 12.

I DO NOT use anything except film..

LONG LIVE FILM!!!!!

Howard Dvorin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    (23)I started off on digital when I was 16ish and quickly became bored with it a few years after. I still shoot digital every so often, just for the convenience, but for the most part I have dedicated more of my time towards Medium format (Bronica ETRS & RB67).
    Once I have a more permanent living situation (my current apt is crap and Im moving out in a few months) I would like to build a darkroom.

Funny thing happened the other day actually.
    I meet up with a model (23) to do a fashion shoot and I had mentioned that I would love to come back to the spot we had just used and shoot some landscapes with film. She asked; video? And I said no, Film photography. She shook her head and said she doesnt know what that is.....
    Flickr!
    -Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting thread. I'm 46, and have been shooting since I first took a photography class in high school. I showed up to the first day of class with a Kodak Instamatic, feeling a bit self conscious among a sea of SLRs in the hands of my classmates. I was fortunate to have a teacher who valued making good photographs over gear, and his enthusiasm and commitment to the craft remains with me to this day (and we still keep in touch).

The main reason I remain drawn to film is simply that I prefer the aesthetic look of photographs taken on film and printed optically. Another reason is that, at least to me, a film camera feels more responsive in the hand. It takes what I want, exactly when I want. Finally, I spend all day in front of a computer, and the last thing I want to do when home is to spend yet more time in front of the screen.

-Jim

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm 22 and I picked up my first camera two years ago. I've never had a digital camera and I don't intend to get one until the last roll of film leaves the factory. I currently shoot 35mm and medium format; someday, I'll get myself a proper 4x5 with movements and a real darkroom.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Christie View Post
    Finally, I spend all day in front of a computer, and the last thing I want to do when home is to spend yet more time in front of the screen.

-Jim
    We are not alone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i'm 38 started at 16. my colleagues are a bit older, 55 and 63 ish. we have a whole range of clients of all ages doing all sorts of stuff. it is truly an exciting time for film. i remember the busy days of film but prefer the fact that nowadays we are experimenting more,
    using old techniques and developing new ones.
    Labyrinth Photographic Printing
    121 Roman Road, Bethnal Green, London E2 0QN
    020 8709 9961
    http://www.labyrinthphotographic.co.uk/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am 45, been shooting film for 36 years, digital for 21, use both in my career and always will to a degree. Goal is to shoot digi for less than 20% of my work, the rest black and white film printed in my darkroom.

Nothing beats a superb silver gelatin print and nothing beats shooting digi at ISO 12,800 in full moonlight from an airplane.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    26 and have been shooting for a little over a year.

Started with film, then went digital.

Now I use a combination of both, but generally prefer film.

I shoot a alot of 35mm atm and a little medium format with my Mamiya RZ67.

I'm also thinking about shooting LF.

Lastly, I print all my film in the darkroom. (BW) I'm also in the process of starting to print color.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I am the grand age of 42. I have been seriously shooting since 1988 my senior year in HS yearbook. Pretty much only film until a year ago when I inherited my wife's xti. Hey, I gave it to her so why not. Darkroom for only a couple of years. Not in the last year. Took it down as I was not doing anything. Kind of a re-prioritization. Mostly 35mm and MF with a smattering of 4x5.

So the rundown is
    Shooting: 24
    Film: 24
    Digital: 2
    Darkroom: 2

When I began I had no choice. At first, I dreamt of a dream digital setup. Then I simply kept plying at analog as I could not afford the other. Then I had apparently made the jump off the deep end of film. But with family obligations I did not have the time to enjoy it and no one to really enjoy shooting and darkroom with. After Faith passed, I simplified things. I sold the cameras. I still have her old EOS 630, my mom's old camera given to her. I had shot a wedding or two with it. And I still have the darkroom gear. Couldn't sell it and that is probably for the best. I have for a just in case down the road.

As to the Canon Rebel xti? Well, That is what I use anymore if I shoot as I am not doing darkroom stuff. And I must photograph. So, I still have access to film capture and processing if I want to. For me, now, this is easier.
    Last edited by Christopher Walrath; 06-21-2012 at 07:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Checking in here at 16, and I'll be 17 on the 2nd of July. I dare say that I'm one of the youngest posters in this thread, and probably one of the younger users of this forum! I got into photography back when I was about 12, and I actually started out on film! I admit, the main reason was that I thought my dad's Minolta Maxuum 3xi looked considerably cooler than his point and shoot, and that I was actually rather interested in photography. He gave me two rolls of film, told me that there were only 36 shots on each roll, and to make them count. After developing the first two rolls, i was hooked. I shot a few more rolls, ut then I became a digital convert. Although I taught myself how to shoot manual and all sorts of other photographic tidbits on digital (such as studio photography, etc), i learned how to compose an image on film.

Despite digital being my main format for quite some time (from when I was about 13.5-15.5), I picked up a film camera again this year when I took my highschool's photo program. For some reason, I had developed this "Spray and Pray" tactic of shooting some odd 500+ photos a day then trimming down to maybe 10 good shots. Shooting film gave me a new appreciation for taking time with my work, and I soon trimmed those 500 shots to 300/day, and when I picked up Medium Format, I soon became even more selective with what I shoot.
    And I absolutely love working in the dark room. Its like the only time I feel truly at peace, or comfortable. It's my "safe place" so to speak. I'm actually moving in to start shooting 4x5 in addition to 35mm and 6x6 MF, so I reckon I can call me self a hard core film user!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin