Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,897   Posts: 1,521,015   Online: 801

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am 59 and started taking photography seriously at 12 when I was given a Brownie Vecta for my birthday.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I started at 1010. In the last few years I added MF and LF. I am 1000010.
    You are 66 and started at age 10. :-)

I'm 53 and started photography at age 11 with an inexpensive Kodak 126 camera. I think it was a model 124.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You broke the code.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    I started at 1010. In the last few years I added MF and LF. I am 1000010.
    Binary arithmetic is off-topic on this site for obvious reasons
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You broke the code.
    It was tough, but I channeled Alan Turing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I´m 25 and my interest in serious photography started when I bought a roll of FP4+ back in the spring of 2002.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm 79 and started with a folding Kodak in my teens, bought a new Leica at 20, and my first Nikon SLR at 35. I still use 35mm and large format where appropriate, and digital for casual photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Excel file updated.
    Attached Files

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm 40. Started with photography when about 13.

Trond

Shooter
    35mm
    I think that we all owe heartfelt thanks to darkosaric for taking the time and effort to quantify these results into a succinct, clearly readable, and understandable format with graphic interface.

Let's face it, it was a whole lot easier to do his abstract with digitization, (ie MS Excel) than doing it manually. That facility kind of solidifies the 'legitimacy' of electronic data gathering, doesn't it? And that reality, whether with words, numbers, or images ends up shooting ourselves in the foot, so to speak. Yes, we all know deep down that digital photography, when distilled into pure logic and theory, is far better than analog: no deterioration of media, no darkroom necessary, no worry about the histogram not being able to be corrected, and, for professionals who shoot at unrepeatable venues, a heaven sent bounty of certainty. Still...

There really is something about film that makes me feel very secure and safe. I do not know why, specifically, but there is a kind of 'warmth' with actually holding a negative that you can actually see without aid of electronics. Maybe there is more to life than scientific theory or 'mere' pragmatism. I do love the clear, bright sound of classical music on CDs but...something is lost and I cannot quantify what that is. Is it romance for 'what was' (at my age), or are there components not identifiable to mere mortals? I own no CD player but have, in storage, 6000 classical music LPs. Maybe I am just plain nuts. But as I say this there are literally dozens of turntable manufacturers in this world who have not yet gone out of business more that twenty years after 33 rpm vinyl 'died'.

Likewise, analog photography retains a diehard retinue of adherents. On this survey what came across clearly was the fact that no one here is mentally deficient, naive, culturally deficient, or uninitiated with life itself. Most found this survey at least somewhat rewarding to ponder. Emotionally, there was the impression of satisfaction and healthy support for 'our niche'. And why should it really matter whether or not we are 'correct' with our thinking here? I am not prepared to defend the availability of film and paper with my life (nor are any others here) but I do get the impression that analog capture will continue to be available even on our collective, chronically averaged 'death bed'. And why not? Life is not best when 100% efficient. There have to be 'loose ends' that point the way for new thought processes to be born. Maybe we are more legitimate than even we think. - David Lyga

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin