Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,965   Online: 947

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Average APUG age: 42
    Average age started photography: 16

6% of APUG members in their 70s.
    8% in their 60s.
    14% in their 50s.
    30% in their 40s.
    9% in their 30s.
    22% in their 20s.

Extent of my skills with number data
    Last edited by batwister; 08-05-2012 at 05:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting how there is a 'deficiency gap' with those in their 30s. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Interesting how there is a 'deficiency gap' with those in their 30s. - David Lyga
    They're probably too busy raising kids.
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm 26. I got my first camera probably when I was 7ish. Not really sure what it was, except I'm pretty sure it took 110 film. I was young enough that film was the only thing when I was a kid. I don't think my family got a digital camera until I was in late Middle School maybe. Thats is only because my father worked for the Army Corps of Engineers and had one for work.

I was always very interested in photography, but didn't seriously get into it until college. I'd hazard 20. The photography class that was part of my major was split half and half traditional B&W, and digital. I too my father's Nikon F2 Photomic out of retirement, and really fell in love with film, especially the darkroom. After that class, I no longer had access to a darkroom. I continued to shoot C-41 film through that camera, but largely shifted to digital. I've recently felt the urge to shoot film again, which is why I'm here. I'm now in the process of setting up a darkroom and have begun developing B&W film as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    What does this mean, Ben?

I get the feeling you're referring a to a previous thread that I missed.
    I mean the O.P needs reassurance that film has a future by the ages of the members who use it.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    Average APUG age: 42
    Average age started photography: 16

6% of APUG members in their 70s.
    8% in their 60s.
    14% in their 50s.
    30% in their 40s.
    9% in their 30s.
    22% in their 20s.

Extent of my skills with number data
    You can't draw any conclusions from these results because they only represent a tiny proportion of the 59,000 members of the forum, these results would only be valid if all the members answered the question.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    You can't draw any conclusions from these results because they only represent a tiny proportion of the 59,000 members of the forum, these results would only be valid if all the members answered the question.
    Not if it's a representative sample. Otherwise all statistical sampling would fail.

As it is, it's likely to be more real-world accurate than a 100% sample, because it polls only active members.

BTW, age 57. Damn, now I've gone and skewed it.
    Last edited by lxdude; 08-13-2012 at 11:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    BTW, age 57. Damn, now I've gone and skewed it.
    Well, I don't skew it at all!
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Neither do I - 40. Have gone through a film-only intro into photography 24 years ago, onto digital only for about 10 years (2001-2011) to happily doing both.

I think the guys in their 30's are too busy raising kids and shaping their homes and careers around those needs. I would love to know what the gender representation in the different age groups is. It would be great to see +/- 50/50 in the younger categories. I get the feeling that the medium doesn't reach a certain part of the population, at least where I live (RSA).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I should add my .02c.
    I'm 38 (yikes, where did the years go?) and bought my first 35mm SLR in 1992, age 17; for my high school photography class. I still have the camera (Pentax Spotmatic) and was out shooting with it yesterday.
    Mamiya 645 Super | Nikon F4/F100 | Minolta Maxxum 9/Dynax 7/X-700/X-500/XD7/SRT-101 | Pentax Spotmatic | Canonet QL 19 (GII) | and a whole bunch of glass

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin