Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,591   Posts: 1,545,955   Online: 1256

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm 38. Been shooting film all my life but only got serious once I moved to Japan back in 1999 and realized I wanted more than what a point and shoot could give me. I got my first SLR in 2001 at a time when the camera stores still sold mostly film cameras, but probably 1/3 to 1/2 the stock was digital. At that time I really didn't consider digital at all, although by the time I left in 2005 virtually everyone I knew had gone that route. After all the work I did in learning to be a photographer with film, the last thing I wanted to do was give that up for another process, especially one that required frequent upgrades and lots of computing power for storage and PS work (I didn't even have a computer back then). Meanwhile, after shooting slides for years, I wanted to do more in black and white so took a course at Ryerson in Toronto and haven't looked back since.

I returned to Japan in 2010 and the biggest shock for me was how little film photography is here compared to before. It's still a lot better than back home though -- I can pick up 35mm and 120 rolls of colour neg, slide, or black and white film in some combination or another at every camera shop in the city (although stock is limited), and get slides developed and returned to me in less than 2 hours. But paper and chemicals for darkroom printing requires trips to larger cities than this one. The older Japanese men who used to be amused at my manual Nikon FE back in the early 2000s (while they shot very high-end sophisticated AF gear, mostly Canon), has turned into a different kind of (mostly nostalgic) amusement for me shooting film (both 35mm and MF) while they shoot with very high-end DSLRs.

I love working in the darkroom, and I love working with different kinds of cameras. Unless supplies (film, paper, chemicals) disappear completely, I think I'll be sticking with film for quite some time.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess this is going to be kind of an introductory post: I'm 30, so just old enough to have caught the tail end of the old way of doing things right before everything changed. I had records when I was a kid and in my early teens, used magnetic tape for audio and video material, watched 16mm movies at school, and ran into the whole Betamax/VHS issue borrowing video tapes from friends and grew up shooting film. On the other hand, my brother and sister are just young enough that they never knew life without a multimedia computer connected to the internet as the centre of their lifestyle so between convenience for that kind of lifestyle coupled with the fact that the didn't have to shoot film back when it was the only way to take pictures, the result is they've only ever shot digital cameras.

My first camera was an Argus 110 camera that was replaced by a 35mm Konica point and shoot, followed by a Canon AE-1 Program with 50mm lens as my first camera capable of decent technical quality, so I grew up shooting film and ended up building a whole Canon FD mount infrastructure. I never changed over to digital because the technical quality was either sub-par compared to what the Canon gear produced or the cost of re-equipping for digital with similar quality digital equipment would be backbreakingly expensive and involve several artistic and technical compromises that I'd prefer not to make vs. the ongoing cost of consumables for shooting film.

That covers the capture side of things. The other half I don't like personally is that given the quality of computer screens and projectors, digital presentation is an awful way to look at pictures no matter how good your source material is.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm 46. Attracted to photography since early childhood. Couldn't believe I could have a camera when I got one for my birthday, should have been 1973, a Kodak Instamatic (126).
    Bought my first and so far only digital camera in 2008. I use it mainly when I go abroad.
    Never printed anything, not enough suitable place at home. I scan all I produce, which is all colour.
    I use almost exclusively slide films since at least 20 years. Develop E-6 since a couple years, thanks to APUG.
    I will soon begin developing C-41, I have some 10 films or so waiting in the fridge and a sealed kit waiting in a cupboard.
    Never developed anything B&W, never used a B&W film since I was a child.
    When I sell my apartment and get a suburban house I plan to install an enlarger and begin exploring: B&W, Medium format, printing (the three things are interconnected in my head, especially MF and printing).
    For the moment it's all 135, colour, scanned.
    Photography is a hobby to me but in the last years I begun supplying some stock agencies with satisfactory results. Stock photo work is probably what keeps my interest in this hobby constant, you have to really look in the distance.
    For the curious, I still produce for stock agencies with film as much as I do with digital. I'm leaving for Vienna in a couple days, and I only bring with me my digital as I normally do when I go abroad.
    I definitely prefer the quality that I get from film and I do prefer film out of mere technical reasons.
    Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Well, yes I think so. Each camera has a very specific purpose too. But really, the simplification came in process more than gear: I stick to 2 films for BW and 1 for color. One developer. Papers change depending on subject. But ya, that's somewhat simple I think....
    I must say that I find even dabbling with multiple films inhibiting, creatively speaking. There is almost so much choice with digital and film, different formats, black & white and colour that the greatest artistic decision can be choosing something and sticking to it. Though, choice is a privilege at this point of course. Before too long we might all be shooting 35mm Ilford and counting our blessings.

I've certainly found that with some people my own age, starting out with film, there is a mentality of 'try it before it's gone'. If that means more people are shooting the larger formats and potentially keeping the stuff in demand, then great. We're all catching the tail end of a comet in a way, trying to hang on. That is to say, this is the impression I get from younger photographers with fine art sensibilites. Film being the default art media for any photography graduate.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    51 (uncomfortably close to 52!)
    Dad made a few quid from B/W wedding photography at weekends and took slides of family holidays. Bought my first camera at age 10 - a Halina Paulette for £5 - and was soon developing and printing B/W. Lost the darkroom due to a house move and didn't build another until the next house, so only slides and colour prints for about ten years.
    I remember seeing my first digital still camera in 1996 and being told how it gobbled batteries. Fear of being totally dependent on batteries that didn't last long at a time when my Pentax KX batteries lasted longer than most governments struck (and still strikes) fear into me. I just never found anything to excite me about digital photography and saw/see it as buying in to a constant need to replace/update equipment and software on regular basis at considerable expense.
    For me, digital photography is like religion, football and yoga - I'll happily leave them to other people.
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like film much better too, but I never understood the worry about battery dependency. Our film cameras are dependent on film, too. So carry enough film. And if you need batteries, carry spare batteries. No brainer there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Plate Voltage View Post
    I guess this is going to be kind of an introductory post.
    You have a great online name - obviously I will have to call you Anode Voltage!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    43. The first post of someone of my age.

Introduced to developing at a very age of 6 or 7 as my father had processed film and prints as a young adult before moving into the television industry. I used to contact print old family negs on my fathers garage floor. Before I took over the garden shed as a night time darkroom. Bought my first enlarger, Durst M670 colour when I was 13, still have and frequently use it. Cost me 18months of paper boy wages. Bought my first new camera an Olympus XA a year later. Still have this too!

Photgraphy has been my hobby all my life, and taking pictures has been my means of making new material for the darkroom.

I dabbled in digital for 5 years from about 2001 to 2006 before deciding I spend enough time I from of a computer at work, I don't need to spend more time at home in front of one. Lucky enough to have a darkroom with plumbing and running water which I have only had for last 6 years. Prior to this all my water was brought into the darkroom via buckets, and went out the same way.

More recently moving into reversal and processing of cinefilm. Love it.
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    73 here. Started photography at age 8, when my Grandfather gave me a Brownie Hawkeye 620 for my birthday. Dad always had a darkroom, so I started learning developing and printing with my first roll of film. I do use digital for some things like web site work, etc. I just don't get a thrill out of sitting in front of my computer playing in Photoshop. I still love all aspects of film, although I can't show my photos moments from the taking.
    I suppose film doesn't have much future with me - not more than about 15 years, but all you younger guys keep shooting film.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    35mm
    im a sprightly 19. got into photography almost 2 years ago and immediately jumped into film. my father was a wedding photographer in the 70's so he got me on track with developing etc. i like nothing more than working with my hands. i shoot mostly colour slide and slow b&w film. at my age life is pretty hectic so when i do get the opportunity for some shooting i grab some film and get contemplative.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin