Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,675   Online: 1149

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I processed my first B&W film and contact prints in 1972. Irrespective of my age, my children have all shot film and made prints and seem to have an interest in film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyg View Post
    72 ( at least a Bruce at 73 keeps me from being the oldest responding to this thread, thanks) started at 30.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/
    I'd better get my oar in the water. 73 and my name is Bruce AND i'm originally from Michigan... small world kind of thing. Started at 60.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm 73 and I started at the age of thirteen when my dad gave me a Zeiss Contax he brought back from WW11 that I still have and use.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I started at 1010. In the last few years I added MF and LF. I am 1000010.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm 50. Growing up all there was was film and we always had some sort of camera...I remember we had a series of Polaroids. I had some exposure (pardon the pun) to the darkroom though summer camp and a friend in middle school who had one. I started shooting serious digital in December and then saw what people were doing with film when attending an art fair. Learned some more listening to podcasts and decided I wanted to try it. I'm set up now to process b/w film and I have an enlarger that was given to me which as soon as I can figure out some sort of table I want to try some b/w prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cepwin View Post
    I'm 50. Growing up [...]

Gee, that's impressive.
    I live by the old saying that if I haven't grown up by 50, I don't have to! And that's the way it is.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    32. Started an year ago with 35mm B+W film. Now, I do not need more or less...
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been making photographs for 10 years....tried both film & digital, I prefer film and darkroom work. I'm 29.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    A VERY RELEVANT SURVEY
    Since I like this idea: here is current status so far in excel table ... you can continue to keep it up to date.
    Attached Files

Shooter
    35mm
    darkosaric: I started at age 14 (1964) if you want to update your list.

Honestly, your Excel worksheet provides data for real value in this analog/digital determination. There are many ways of massaging this data and maybe you should consider listing the data from youngest to oldest (or oldest to youngest). But, also, your second column stating WHEN the person adopted film is highly relevant as well. A person who is older and JUST started with analog is interesting. The fact that film 'won' this person over recently is highly relevant to our survey; merely stating how old one is NOW becomes even moot at times without the other data.

There are many different ways of determining just how popular film is NOW and how important it will be in the future. For example, one is 'why' still film. Economic or otherwise: film is cheapest to START with (if you do not have the necessary technology at your ready and convenient disposal). Also the psychological 'comfort' of seeing your capture in the form of a negative I think has the MOST to do with why I cherish film so much. As analogy, if I were to take a far away trip, say to Europe again, I would bring travelers cheques because I want to 'see' how much I have instead of 'trusting' a computer to read me the (hopefully) correct dollar balance or even 'swallow' my debit card. Also, I would not have to worry about the card not being accepted. (NOTE: I do know that some banks now will not accept them but there ALWAYS is somewhere to cash them, even if at American Express.)

Many will find that assessment funny, quaint or other but, to me, that is a real issue. I simply cannot adapt to 'knowing', in the form of 'digital trust', without seeing first hand. I feel the same way about traveling in an automobile with GPS navigation. I despise this method and need to first Google the address map so that I see the entire grid in my mind. I, then, can easily find my own best route with ease. I hate going step by step without seeing the entire picture beforehand. That is just the way I think and I get terribly confused otherwise. Place me in a strange city with a good map and I will be happy and content and never afraid. At 20, in 1970, I went to Europe alone for six months and enjoyed each and every minute. Darkosaric, I even visited relatives in Wolow, near Wroclaw Poland!

I also envision analog manufacturers gaining practical insight from this survey. - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 06-18-2012 at 09:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin