Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,070   Online: 931

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    22 here, started shooting photos seriously when I was 16 and dabbled in film here and there. Really got into film a little over a year ago and never looked back

Shooter
    35mm
    THAT is the response that we all want to hear: from someone who knew 'nothing other than digital' and had 'no reason' to choose film. YOU are what we need to keep our addiction alive, tron. Thank you for this. At 22, you deliver hope. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I am turning 60 soon, and still very active with film, our first assistant is 25 , she just won OCAD University photo prize, and for a gift we gave her a Titan pinhole camera and two hundred sheets of FP4. She is in Tehran today starting to use the camera and in the fall coming back to assist in our darkrooms and lightrooms, for a two year apprenticeship before she continues on to Montreal for her Masters.

In Toronto there seems to be a lot of young photographers interested in film and alternative process. Gallery 44 membership is large and mostly young artists, this facility has a wonderful darkroom setup for rent and teaching.

Unfortunately I see film and paper prices going up, I do not see them going away, but the major influx of new users will IMO be those who embrace digital and film processes and can use them both, singulary or in combination with each other. The cost of the materials will be high but that may weed out the wannabees.

If Harmon makes the 8x10 titan then I am a happy camper and will stock up on FP4.. My wife just bought another two holgas yesterday and I would love to see a 8x10 version holga.

Joining our ownership team is Paulette , who is a graduate of ACAD in Alberta and her dream is to be a silver and alt printer as well make her own photographic projects. She just hasn't realized how difficult it is to be taught by an old coot like myself , I will teach her for the next 10 years and then she is on her own to find her future in printing.

So from our perspective the future is bright with young photographers not only working with film, but more significantly investing in a hybrid company like ours with a mandate to print in a darkroom until no product is available , and even then we will be making our own emulsions and tissues and continuing on.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Seems we are a middle aged lot. Nice to see the under 40's represented. We need to work harder to attract more of them. I'm 58.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    You can help that cause by not posting images of you in the water with the cottage cheeze showing.
    Talk about turning off a bunch of people to this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    Seems we are a middle aged lot. Nice to see the under 40's represented. We need to work harder to attract more of them. I'm 58.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I'm 61, started in about 1972 but lost interest because I couldn't have my own darkroom and waiting for the film to come back was tedious. I started doing digital photography in about 1997 but also started dabbling in film again. I took digital as far as I wanted, was unhappy with it and had a pretty sizeable film arsenal on the side. Quit the digital in about 2005 and have been on a film tear ever since, also much happier. I now have 2000 sq.ft. of darkroom, a dozen enlargers, a nice Uv exposure unit, double Jobos, a nice chem formulary and nothing but darkroom fun!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    You can help that cause by not posting images of you in the water with the cottage cheeze showing.
    Talk about turning off a bunch of people to this site.
    Are you kidding? Why do you think I joined?
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    I now have 2000 sq.ft. of darkroom, a dozen enlargers, a nice Uv exposure unit, double Jobos, a nice chem formulary and nothing but darkroom fun!!
    2,000 sq. ft? Boy, when you do a hobby, you don't mess around!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Gee, that's impressive.
    I live by the old saying that if I haven't grown up by 50, I don't have to! And that's the way it is.
    Ah but who really want's to grow up

Shooter
    35mm
    Going 40 this year. I started to shoot in December last year and only two months later my brand new Pentax K-r stopped working and had to get back for warranty repair, I was in a flow, and very frustrated so I turned to the used gear ad pages and found myself a Pentax MZ-6 film body. The week after I got that film body I bought a Paterson tank and some chemicals, since then there's been no return... (though I scan and print digitally, no space nor time for learning darkroom again, touched the subject in school when I was 15-16 years old, but would love to take it up again one day though...) And the K-r, well, it can shoot video quite ok...

Last edited by Felinik; 06-18-2012 at 07:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin