Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,292   Online: 766

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Almost 61 (oooooooh, that is hard to acknowledge). Bought my first camera in 1974 so I could document my painting and sculpture. What's this digital stuff you speak of????
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    41. Started with photography at 12 in school and using my step-father's darkroom. Took a break from it after college until I had kids. Then started shooting a lot of 35mm slides and for some resin picked up a 4x5 and a few medium format systems. Built my own darkroom as well. I also shoot a lot of digital for shots of the family, or for things destined for the web. Honestly I like digital and film about equally, but for different reasons. I can't see being in only one camp since they both have very strong advantages.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I teach a photo class at a university in MA. ALL of my students under 20 (makes me feel real old), this is a wet darkroom class with film and such.
    Sure they are all taking it because its easy credit and gotta be a fun class, i guess that was the point of the OP right?

Shooter
    35mm
    Posting on behalf of my 12-year-old son, who does not have an APUG account. He just finished his first ever roll of film (slide film - he's a chip off the old block like me) and I dropped it off a couple days ago for processing. He's looking forward to getting the slides back from the lab.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Also aside from me, my best friend (22) shoots 4x5, a good friend in Cali (23) shoots 8x10 slides, another best buddy in Oregon (24) shoots 6x7 and 35mm, and my girlfriend (28) is shooting 35mm and MF. We're out there!
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm
    Klainmeister: Good, you ARE out there. But I do hope 'to stay'.

As stated previously, it is true that most are veering towards, or already are (as expected) middle age. So it does become fascinating to discover WHY young people are attracted to this medium. Hopefully, most will not be doing this solely because it is 'trendy', as trends end. As I said before: I like to see, first hand, what I have captured.

Krifartida, you said what I did not want said: that your students are taking the course for no reason other than easy credit. Try to impart subjectivity to these fledglings in order to turn this relationship into something more enduring. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by krifartida View Post
    I teach a photo class at a university in MA. ALL of my students under 20 (makes me feel real old............
    i guess that was the point of the OP right?
    No. he wanted to know how old you are!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Klainmeister: Good, you ARE out there. But I do hope 'to stay'.

As stated previously, it is true that most are veering towards, or already are (as expected) middle age. So it does become fascinating to discover WHY young people are attracted to this medium. Hopefully, most will not be doing this solely because it is 'trendy', as trends end. As I said before: I like to see, first hand, what I have captured.

Krifartida, you said what I did not want said: that your students are taking the course for no reason other than easy credit. Try to impart subjectivity to these fledglings in order to turn this relationship into something more enduring. - David Lyga
    he also said its gotta be a fun class ..
    if it is a fun class, and they have a way to process and (whatever ) their film
    then they might stick with it, so i guess it is exactly what you are hoping for.

the main problem i see is that without a way to process film ( or paper negatives ) it is not likely that someone will continue to do wet photography.
    not all people want a darkroom or have a way to process film, labs are closing down left and right, drug stores no longer process ...
    its as if what eastman started in 1884 had a long long run, but is almost stopped, and it is just home processors that will keep things alive ... ( like pre 1884 )
    so if it is fun then maybe it will create the want to continue ... if it is not a fun class, and just something to dread, well, i think the electric thing wins ...

Shooter
    35mm
    jnanian: you are correct with inferring that there has to be more than mere 'fun' involved. Certainly, and I have stated previously, that, in a theoretical sense, digital is superior (no deteriorating media, immediate evaluation, histogram for thorough tonal evaluation, etc). I mean that.

But there is more to life than theory. The 'cost of entry' to make photos as good as relatively inexpensive analog is capable of, is rather formidable. Also, there is an element of craft with film. Also, though the unexposed film might go bad with bad storage, the final print, if processed correctly and especially if in traditional B&W, lasts and lasts.

Whether how I feel is really proved substantiated with future film sales remains to be seen. Folks, a horse and buggy is inferior to the automobile, but in Old City (Philadelphia) they still operate! Not trying to prove anything through faulty analogy here, but there are other sides to examine mindsets than through strict, quantitative efficiency. Have I just shot myself in the foot? - David Lyga

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Folks, a horse and buggy is inferior to the automobile, but in Old City (Philadelphia) they still operate! ... Have I just shot myself in the foot? - David Lyga
    No, but just watch where you put your feet...

I am 53. Had to double check my earlier post because at dinner last night we were talking about how I always forget how old I am, and I thought for sure I had posted 52 to this thread...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin