Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,300   Online: 1211

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: HCB Quotes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    However Thomas, I don't agree with your take on this. The coordination of visual elements is a combination of framing, flow of time and the moment you press the shutter. You don't have to physically move things around. That sounds a bit like Photoshop.
    From Merriam-Webster Online:

Coordinate:

transitive verb
    : to put in the same order or rank

: to bring into a common action, movement, or condition :harmonize <we need to coordinate our schedules>

: to attach so as to form a coordination complex

intransitive verb
    : to be or become coordinate especially so as to act together in a smooth concerted way

: to combine by means of a coordinate bond

I think the word coordinate can be interpreted many ways, and I was reading too much into my understanding of the word, which to me means 'to move things around so to align with other things'. It's how I have always understood the word 'coordinate'.

Stretching my imagination I suppose one could coordinate by perhaps placing a certain level of importance on objects in front of a camera, and record them with a photograph when they align favorably.
    Is that actually a true meaning of the word? To coordinate by waiting for others to align how you wish them to?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    From Merriam-Webster Online:

Coordinate:

transitive verb
    : to put in the same order or rank

: to bring into a common action, movement, or condition :harmonize <we need to coordinate our schedules>

: to attach so as to form a coordination complex

intransitive verb
    : to be or become coordinate especially so as to act together in a smooth concerted way

: to combine by means of a coordinate bond

I think the word coordinate can be interpreted many ways, and I was reading too much into my understanding of the word, which to me means 'to move things around so to align with other things'. It's how I have always understood the word 'coordinate'.

Stretching my imagination I suppose one could coordinate by perhaps placing a certain level of importance on objects in front of a camera, and record them with a photograph when they align favorably.
    Is that actually a true meaning of the word? To coordinate by waiting for others to align how you wish them to?
    The French definition and translation into English may be slightly different. It would be interesting to hear from French speakers about this quote.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're coordinating the image being projected from the lens onto the film via placement and timing. This is a reasonable way to interpret "to bring into a common action, movement or condition, harmonize"

Let's also not forget that this is a translation, and with any translation there could be multiple meanings in either of the two languages. This is splitting hairs I think Thomas.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    ...Don't get me wrong, I love Cartier-Bresson, and I have the utmost respect for your words and contributions, Vaughn. But how does one 'coordinate' visual elements?...
    Although pretty well answered already, I will go with the "bringing into harmony" the many elements we find and/or control in making an image...the quality of light, camera position, focal length, the landscape and its many elements, etc.

While in this there is a bit of the king from The Little Prince where the king rules the sun by requiring it to rise every morning (if I remember it right), for me it comes down to the ability to see the possibilities and finding the image to expose onto the film.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I think one of his best quotes is this-

“I find that you have to blend in like a fish in water, you have to forget yourself, you have to take your time, that's what I reproach our era for not doing. Drawing is slow, it is a meditation, but you have to know how to go slow in order to go quickly, slowness can mean splendour. - Henri Cartier-Bresson

The reason I like this quote is because it is almost a dichotomy of the technique he employed.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    You're coordinating the image being projected from the lens onto the film via placement and timing. This is a reasonable way to interpret "to bring into a common action, movement or condition, harmonize"

Let's also not forget that this is a translation, and with any translation there could be multiple meanings in either of the two languages. This is splitting hairs I think Thomas.
    Splitting hairs? I thought it was an important distinction of that whole quote. Plus, we're good at splitting hairs here on APUG, and wouldn't you want to argue with HCB?
    Please don't take it too seriously. I'm just trying to wrap my head around something I plainly did not find reasonable.

Don't get me wrong, I love Cartier-Bresson, and I have the utmost respect for your words and contributions, Vaughn. But how does one 'coordinate' visual elements? Unless you actually reach out and physically move things around, you have no control of how things are coordinated; they happen the way they happen because X amount of people, animals, and other objects decide to move based on their intention and forces of nature. The photographer is not in control of anything other than the shutter and where to aim the lens. I really love how Jay Maisel calls it 'framing' instead of composition.
    Couldnt disagree more. That's what we do is manipulate the visual elements.

I think all he's talking about is knowing how to place yourself so those elements are in their "best" possible place/location.

In other words framing the shot, which we all know can make or break a picture by position, lens choice, and angle of the dangle.

In some cases in street photography, place yourself, then let the action come to you. In other cases when walking around sometimes, the simple act of crouching down can give you the shot/impact.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    I think all he's talking about is knowing how to place yourself so those elements are in their "best" possible place/location...
    Including, of course, placing oneself properly in time...
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    Couldnt disagree more. That's what we do is manipulate the visual elements.

I think all he's talking about is knowing how to place yourself so those elements are in their "best" possible place/location.

In other words framing the shot, which we all know can make or break a picture by position, lens choice, and angle of the dangle.

In some cases in street photography, place yourself, then let the action come to you. In other cases when walking around sometimes, the simple act of crouching down can give you the shot/impact.
    I thought I said that all the photographer is in control of is the shutter and where to point the lens. What other magical powers do photographers possess?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin