Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,370   Online: 813

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: HCB Quotes

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

HCB Quotes

I wondered if anyone would like to comment on the following? I find most of them quite valid.

http://www.photoquotes.com/showquote...-Bresson,Henri

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    People like to dog on HCB because he's held up high as this amazing photographer, and apparently some aren't that impressed by his photos.

BUT, I'll maintain that he's a philosopher's photographer. The things he says are valid and often brilliant ruminations on the art of photographing.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Interesting quotes.

I always found his photographs to be visually interesting and somewhat quirky. They often carry a sense of humor about them.

In fact if someone thought what he does is easy, go out one day with a few rolls of film and see if you can do it.

Betcha can't.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think photography is what you want it to be, which is different for everybody.

His way was one way, and there are many ways, more or less valid depending on your own views.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I think photography is what you want it to be, which is different for everybody.

His way was one way, and there are many ways, more or less valid depending on your own views.

I agree with this. It always bothered me that HCB didn't print his own work and, as I understood it, didn't care much for printing generally. To me that's a big part of photography. Capturing the moment is only part of it for me. Don't get me wrong, though, HCB's a rockstar no doubt.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    My favorite -- the one that resonates the mostly strongly in me.

This recognition, in real life, of a rhythm of surfaces, lines, and values is for me the essence of photography; composition should be a constant of preoccupation, being a simultaneous coalition – an organic coordination of visual elements. - Henri Cartier-Bresson
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Exactly!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    My favorite -- the one that resonates the mostly strongly in me.
    This recognition, in real life, of a rhythm of surfaces, lines, and values is for me the essence of photography; composition should be a constant of preoccupation, being a simultaneous coalition – an organic coordination of visual elements. - Henri Cartier-Bresson

Don't get me wrong, I love Cartier-Bresson, and I have the utmost respect for your words and contributions, Vaughn. But how does one 'coordinate' visual elements? Unless you actually reach out and physically move things around, you have no control of how things are coordinated; they happen the way they happen because X amount of people, animals, and other objects decide to move based on their intention and forces of nature. The photographer is not in control of anything other than the shutter and where to aim the lens. I really love how Jay Maisel calls it 'framing' instead of composition.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Thomas, I would also agree with this. Art has many perspectives.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Don't get me wrong, I love Cartier-Bresson, and I have the utmost respect for your words and contributions, Vaughn. But how does one 'coordinate' visual elements? Unless you actually reach out and physically move things around, you have no control of how things are coordinated; they happen the way they happen because X amount of people, animals, and other objects decide to move based on their intention and forces of nature. The photographer is not in control of anything other than the shutter and where to aim the lens. I really love how Jay Maisel calls it 'framing' instead of composition.
    However Thomas, I don't agree with your take on this. The coordination of visual elements is a combination of framing, flow of time and the moment you press the shutter. You don't have to physically move things around. That sounds a bit like Photoshop.

Francis Bacon

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin