Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,681   Online: 817

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Multi image capture

I have recently noticed adverts about digital cameras that record pictures before you actually press the shutter. This should yield a plethora of decisive moments. I don’t think so. Any thoughts?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Do sports photographers have this already?I read somewhere,or dreamed,that a lot of sports photog's take short digital recordings and single out the frame they want.The ongoing,indecisive,moment.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    PetaPixel: Hasselblad vs Red Epic: Will Video Kill the Still Photography Star?

In film terms, this is known as a "movie camera."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This should give a big boost to sales of medications to treat obsessive-compulsive disorders.

As a still photographer, and after reading comments in the Brian Millers link, as well as a disdain from some analogers since digital's beginnings, there is a constant theme here, and that theme is: OMG THAT'S CHEATING.

"Hey the digital guy is cheating because he's using plug-ins, he's pray and spraying, he's photoshopping the shit out of his stuff, and I'm an HONEST plodding analog photographer"

This is perhaps all true to some extent. But a couple of things have to be said here. A lot of this technology is for pros, and pros don't care WHAT it takes to get an image, they need that image to be as good as it can be.

I remember early in my film days, 1970s, and someone would see one my portraits and say, that's nice, but if they took 3 rolls they could get that too. They only take one shot with their instamatics. Well maybe they could and maybe they couldn't, but my job was to GET THE SHOT, and not care how I did it.

So while this new, "shoot a video and pick the best frame" is sort of disturbing in that it seems to be cheating, the bottom line is, without a talented photographer (videographer) then even the best frame would probably not be that good. Because there is more goes into a shot than just pushing the button on the camera. Lighting, composition, color or B&W sensibilities, subject matter etc.

I know, I know, this technology stuff is ruining photography, but the times they are a changin', and you can change with it, or you can be a rebel and do your own thing, but if your artistry is lacking, so will your results.

Remember there are still great artisans making great things with very old tools and very old techniques.
    Last edited by blansky; 06-22-2012 at 12:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin