Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,376   Online: 783

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Right from the beginning this article is at odds with my observations. Dominated by conservatism? Hardly. Quite the opposite. Photography has recently been dominated by pathetic efforts to "move things forward" with gimmicks. People fall all over themselves for practically anything that hasn't been done before, no matter how full of sh1t it is. Pee all over some old stained photo paper and you'll have a triumphant solo show.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    nice article
    thanks jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by M Stat View Post
    Blansky has written a perfect response to the meaningless blather, which for some reason I was directed to by the OP. Noone should concern themselves with these ridiculous assertions. As far as the state of art is concerned, who cares?! I do what I do because I enjoy doing it, not because it somehow advances the "Art" or craft of photography. I agree with Mr. Blansky that this article is total nonsense. Now if you will excuse me, I have to go develop some film.
    In other words, "I don't have time for reading this, or even responding to it, but I'm going to anyway for some reason. In fact I should not even be here, but I'm going to take the time to write to you all and tell you all this."

:-)
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    Angst and navel gazing.

Writing for the sole purpose of writing something.

Firstly, painting didn't flourish because it no longer had the burden of being the record keeper since photography had taken up that task.

Total nonsense and the timeline is all wrong.

Next, photography originally developed not as an art medium but as a tool. To record something. Later, people begin to play with it's artistic potential.

Digitals first and foremost hurdle was to emulate/copy/perfect/advance/??? analog photography. If it was to replace the tools of the analog photographer, then it had to perform in much the same manner only with advantages. If there were no advantages it would have died. Only recently have people begun to play with the artistic elements of it. It's still a very young technology and changing and evolving every day.

The same minds that take analog into new and "exciting" directions, can/will/do take digital into the same realms, mainly because most photographers use both and essentially in the same manner: the brain, to the recording device, to the printed medium. Photography didn't REALLY change, only the tools changed. It is first and foremost a recording device, always was and will be. It is not a paint brush and a blank canvas. People that desire that type of medium pick up a paint brush and not a camera. You can't make riding a bicycle and driving a car the same experience. When you choose which experience you want, you choose the appropriate vehicle.

What is his bitch with archiving. Museums archive. Photographers archive. What has this got to do with creativity. That's like saying when you are sleeping you are not out shooting. Okay. But if you don't sleep you don't have the energy to go out shooting. If you don't save your work, you have no library of your work. Is archiving stopping you from being creative?

WTF has google got to do with any of this? That's like saying the artistic merit of security cameras is stagnant and lacking.

Is his thesis that Mathew Brandts work is something to aspire to? This pseudo abstract trashed negative, botched printing job, is where photography should be headed. This is progress? This is breaking the mold? This is breaking out?

Maybe his problem is that we actually like our stagnation, we like what we consider art, and what he considers an evolution is simply crap.

As for the abstract paintings, this is what photographer use for backgrounds now....http://www.silverlakephoto.com/seniors/

At least there is a use for abstract paintings he admires...http://www.gerhard-richter.com/exhib...n.php?exID=572

As for abstract digital photography, there are people doing it now, just as they did it with analog, although to be truthful, nobody really cares
    https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...CMme2wWno5XaCQ
    Well said.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    Angst and navel gazing.
    Blansky you are so right, so very right!
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't know who's side to take on this. The article makes me pause and question my own direction.

Going around in circles for 10 years? Maybe it's longer than that.

I'm starting to prototype an idea for some photos. I noticed some local social issues and wondered why the usual responses haven't been effective. I really want to get involved and make a difference, but I don't know where to start. All I know is what I see, or what I hear happened that I didn't see.

Another thread asked for references about Gene Smith, so I pulled out an old book that mentions him at least a dozen times. Flipping through, I landed on a page where an editor was describing a young photographer who brought a few stories.

There it was, in 1958, my idea.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    While it may be angst and navel-gazing, I have seen pretty much the same thing from other sources. But it does make me question, how does art go forward?

All art goes through different periods. Music, painting, drawing, sculpture, what have you. The thing about photography is that it started fully formed, and only the materials have progressed. The dark box is still the dark box, with a lens at the front and something else at the rear to receive the light.

Mr. Colberg suggests that photography is stuck in place, held by "nostalgia and conservatism." From what I've seen, the biggest problem is breaking away from the lens, dark box, and sensitive material. All cameras, no matter what the size, still have the same layout, no matter if they are gargantuan and on a dedicated trailer, or tiny and on a telephone. It's just the nature of the beast.

The shutter opens, and an image arrives, fully formed. From the banal to the extraordinary, it's all there. So then comes the subject matter. What hasn't been photographed? From a pulse of light to a planet, photography has been to the moon and beyond. It has been to peace, to war, to the mountains and the bedroom.

And yet at its heart, it's still that good ol' snapshot. Mr. Colberg thinks that photography is moving "sideways" by those who create abstract works or who "distress" the print. But that's actually been done long ago, and it isn't new. Where is the "artistic risk" in photography?

The "artistic risk" is always in the mind of the person creating the artwork, and perhaps also the physical risk in making the artwork.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Rich815, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't try to put words in my mouth.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Interesting read and thanks for the site link. Conservatism - couldn't agree more. Nostalgia - absolutely. The two extremes as a result of a universal lack of ideas - nobody doubts that. You could say exactly the same about popular music. The stasis in the arts in general is, I think, a direct result of social and cultural stagnation. This is where ideas come from and this is where we should be looking, not specifically within the medium itself. Photography requires first looking outward, then inward. Unfortunately, my reaction to what's going on within and without the arts has been to look inward - dissociation.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Half a dozen words packed into about a thousand.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin