Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,962   Online: 781

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Subject preference

Is it just me, or do I get the impression that APUG is dominated by LF landscape, Ansel Adam lovers?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I occasionally feel the same, but my own work could not be farther from that...
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Looking at the gallery, I don't necessarily get that feeling. Maybe we just make that connection to landscapes shot in BW because his were so prolific?
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No I disagree, but I do not like shooting portraits myself.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Strange, I don't find this to be the case at all. Quite the opposite. I find APUG to be mostly interested in Portraiture, "decisive moments"/HCB-lovers, and alternative processes (lith, multi-toning etc).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not surprising that landscape features strongly in APUG in the form of large format photography.

Landscape as a genre offers a rich metaphoric space for visual commentary on virtually everything except perhaps the minutae of ever shifting personal relations. The messages of landscape are carried in its textures, tones, and spaces and these qualities are just what the slow but fine large format camera accesses better than anything else.

But it's not all one thing at APUG. I bet there are even some beguiled members of the Henri Cartier-Bresson fan club here, maybe a Minox enthusiast or two, and doubtless some digital lurkers. E pluribus unum and all that.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Is it just me, or do I get the impression that APUG is dominated by LF landscape, Ansel Adam lovers?
    The late, great Per Volquartz described this as an incestuous relationship, and I suppose that he's right. On the other hand, he shot some glorious landscapes in the same geography that attracted St. Ansel... and landscape is perhaps the most accessible subject matter.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    ...and landscape is perhaps the most accessible subject matter.
    And one of the most patient.

Except maybe for graveyards. Those people are marvelously accessible and patient.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    It's not surprising that landscape features strongly in APUG in the form of large format photography.

Landscape as a genre offers a rich metaphoric space for visual commentary on virtually everything except perhaps the minutae of ever shifting personal relations. The messages of landscape are carried in its textures, tones, and spaces and these qualities are just what the slow but fine large format camera accesses better than anything else.

But it's not all one thing at APUG. I bet there are even some beguiled members of the Henri Cartier-Bresson fan club here, maybe a Minox enthusiast or two, and doubtless some digital lurkers. E pluribus unum and all that.
    This makes a lot of sense to me, about the view camera and landscape. A lot of photographers, I believe, feel that there's a natural progression to 'graduate' to bigger formats, as if they are better or more impressive. And when they start shooting sheet film, I think they realize how much more time and patience is required to set up a frame, that they sort of progress toward the landscape, to paraphrase Keith's post above, because the subject matter patiently waits for them to be ready.
    This was true for me when I went from 120 to 4x5, and I think it is in that transition that people either go 'woohoo, I found the perfect tool', or 'this isn't working for me'. Since so many people shoot landscape anyway, I just think that it's natural that so many folk shoot landscape with a view camera.

I cheer every time I see people breaking out of norms, shooting landscape with 35mm Tri-X or does street photography with a Hasselblad.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Looking at the gallery, I don't necessarily get that feeling. Maybe we just make that connection to landscapes shot in BW because his were so prolific?
    I think its unfair categorising the APUG community based on what you see in the Galleries. I have been meaning to start a thread about it, because I think the galleries are pretty much dead.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin