Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,695   Online: 1017

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree, lots of things to do in this old life so you have to pick and choose what is most important at the time. Besides, I am still learning a lot I didn't know just working with the old enlarger and printing my analog negs. But I am certainly watching the work that has been done with digi negs very closely and have committed to going back to school this fall to learn some digital techniques. Not so much to walk away from analogue but so that I can begin learning the basics I need to be able to do some of my own experimenting with digital negatives.

I love analogue and there are many, many benefits that are not actually related at all to the print. But there are many, many ways to accomplish something and I want to play around with as many as possible so I know how my current processes compare, or how they can be further improved.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think there is a difference between those who do not want to see hybrid discussions here on APUG and those who do not believe in the value of hybrid options.

Personally, I prefer to keep the discussions elsewhere, but find the hybrid options interesting - as long as I can let others do the experimentation for now.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    I am visiting Sandy next month, I want to bone up on carbon theory before I start mixing some platinums and carbons together... from digital output negs.
    He is not active on hybrid whatsoever, lots of people bitch slapped him there and he left , along with a whole bunch of us as well.
    To be honest, I haven't' been to hybrid photo in over a year, myself. I spoke to him in person back in October and I know he said he rarely comes onto this site, but does participate on LFPF when time allows. He sat through a lecture I gave on my own photographs at a conference and had some nice comments and thought provoking questions afterward. Tell him I said "Hi".
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I will

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    To be honest, I haven't' been to hybrid photo in over a year, myself. I spoke to him in person back in October and I know he said he rarely comes onto this site, but does participate on LFPF when time allows. He sat through a lecture I gave on my own photographs at a conference and had some nice comments and thought provoking questions afterward. Tell him I said "Hi".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The Ride Is Certainly Exciting

When you think about it, we are living in the midst of a magnificent and wonderful revolution that is turning the world of photography upside down. As always, change can be painful and there are some that can never really adapt. But to be living in the midst of a period when the field of photography is being totally turned on it's ear is for me a real privilege. This type of major change in any field is quite rare. The norm is incremental improvement and change that happens over many years, decades, and can last for several lifetimes. But we are seeing huge, rapid changes. New technology and complete changes in equipment in a period of just a very few years. Just think, two years ago my cell phone had no camera, now it takes pretty nice snapshots. And I want to be a part of this. I do not want to turn 90, look back, and realize that I did not take the chance to participate.

Right now we are in the midst of the uproar and there seems to be this massive tug of war going on between each side. But if you really look around you see some people quietly working to meld the two processes into their own workflows. This is because there are too many advantages with both processes. However it plays out, the ride is certainly exciting!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    The world exist in shades of gray. (18% gray) .
    The world may be more colorful than you think it is. In addition to black, white and 18%... there are 253 other shades too!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Right now we are in the midst of the uproar and there seems to be this massive tug of war going on between each side. But if you really look around you see some people quietly working to meld the two processes into their own workflows. This is because there are too many advantages with both processes. However it plays out, the ride is certainly exciting!
    It is exciting indeed! This technology makes this faster but not necessarily better. I hope technology won't make us forget our humanity and why we create art. Again, I'm trying to keep what I can use with technology and throw out what I don't need. I think injet technology is useful in making negs for platinum printing. However, I think inkjet prints sometimes leaves me cold. I would like to use technology, but not let technology use me.

Shooter
    35mm

*Warning - may contain hybrid content*

Perhaps requiring content discussing hybrid technology to start its' Descriptive Title with a warning "*Warning - may contain hybrid content*" or **H** might satisfy those who strongly dislike digital technology by allowing them to skip over the message thread if they so choose.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This warning seems to make hybrid content obscene. Lets dig a a little deeper here. Does "Hybrid" mean to some that we've somehow compromised photography or our analog values? I'm not saying the warning is wrong. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and have this thread taken off APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rated H for Hybrid Content?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin