Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,460   Online: 912

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have no problem with digital technology, as long as the original capture is on film. This provides the original image has a real physical integrity. There after the means of reproduction and transference is not important.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I come to this site for discussions of analog photography, equipment, and techniques. It is nice to have a site that is devoted to analog methods, where photographic challenges are couched in analog terms, and solutions are contemplated in the same vein.

I do not dislike the discussion of digital or hybrid photography and techniques, but I prefer to engage in it on other forums. APUG is where I come for a breath of fresh fixer, and when I feel up to it, polysulfide toner.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I have no problem with digital technology, as long as the original capture is on film. This provides the original image has a real physical integrity. There after the means of reproduction and transference is not important.
    Well said, Clive. For those who dabble in alternate processes (platinum, carbon, gravure, etc), digital now pretty much offers the only mean of reproduction and transfer, so there isn't much to argue there. Those who do, simply shoot themselves in the foot. I'd consider myself a fool if I stood my purist ground and refuse to print platinum or gravure simply because I don't want to touch digital. I consider myself lucky that technology has offered a way to continue these amazing processes at a quality level that is equal to the analogue ways. More importantly, I see this as a tremendous opportunity to teach the young about various printing processes in a way that incorporates current technologies they can relate to. In turn, that keeps analogue alive and well for those who do not want to embrace digital in any form. Everyone wins.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I sit in between the analog and hybrid worlds, as most of my shooting is reversals.

I did use the hybrid site for a while, but I found the people there rather high strung and abusive. Too bad really. I had lost the job and fell off the planet during that last downturn. When I returned, i had many nasty posts (pm and public) because i wasn't responding. Oh well.... People with no brains, and all that.

So I just live here and never mention my other toys. The reality is there is needed expertise on film that resides here and not on dpug. They should dial down the sensitivity because it will only result in the loss of that important knowledge.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A vbulletin genius recently helped with our server migration and server optimizations to this new server. I've asked him for his thoughts on a viable way to interlink the two forums (APUG & DPUG). The ideal solution is that everyone has one user name, one profile, one "new posts", etc and can use both sites seamlessly. vBulletin 4.2 is out and may have better back end tools to accomplish this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't do any digital work, but am intrigued by the option of using digi negatives for alternative processes. I haven't done it yet, but may in the future. Still, I'd like to see APUG maintain it's stance as a digital/hybrid free zone. If I ever want to research the digital realm, there are hundreds (if not thousands) of places I can go. APUG is the last bastion of purely analog photography. We need this place to remain just as it is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    As for the hybrid world I am unsure about the future in hybrid. How much hybrid is out of necessity because some digital technology simply isn't there yet? 10%, 30%, 90%? What happens when digital capture and output can create a 100% perfect replica platinum or carbon print that is 100% indistinguishable even with a microscope? For example the carbon texture can be replicated with 3D printing technology providing the telltale raised textures. Is it wishful thinking to assume hybrid proponents will remain hybrid when those processes can be done 100% digitally with 100% no discernible differences to hybrid? I know it's not the best analogy but hybrid vehicles are popular right now, and what happens when the battery technology finally comes of age allowing for full electric vehicles? Will anyone buy a hybrid vehicle at that point? What I'm getting at is why is there a hybrid workflow? Is it a passion for the traditional printing methods, or is it waiting for the day digital can actually do it all?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean- I think you make a good point, which is often overlooked. The fact is, we can make large film negatives for any alternative work we care to do. All the more reason to keep APUG pure...

Shooter
    35mm
    Sean,

I think that hybrid methods will last for a long time. It is relatively easy for users to create a wide variety of print media in their own darkrooms and using hybrid methods, make beautiful prints. These prints will reflect the skill and interests of their creators. Creating camera ready film is far from easy.

Hybrid methods give photographers additional tools to express themselves. Ultimately, digital technology is just a new toolbox that gives photographers many new tools that photographers can use as they choose.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Sean,

Good points but I firmly believe that the largest portion of pleasure is in the craft of making a great print. The hybrid workflow can allow that but it is not automatic. Everything still requires a hands on approach, chemicals, and the skills to tame MANY variables. It is not a matter of whether digital can ever replicate to perfection an analogue print, because at that point the craft is lost and the art of making that print is no longer a factor. It is basically what inkjet printing is. With Piezography inks, for example, I can output a pretty print on pretty paper but it's all at the touch of one button. Again, it is not a matter of quality because those prints can be as beautiful as anything, but they don't require much skill and it is nowhere near as much fun or fulfilling as getting dirty and creating something out of nothing. I guess it's a matter of looking at a glass half full or half empty

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin