Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,954   Posts: 1,586,009   Online: 683

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Folks, I think the best we can do today is give Sean a pat on the back for investigating linking APUG logins to DPUG and thus create a seamless flow of discussion between the sites; till then, why bother changing the charter of APUG just because some find it logical due to the times?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    A vbulletin genius recently helped with our server migration and server optimizations to this new server. I've asked him for his thoughts on a viable way to interlink the two forums (APUG & DPUG). The ideal solution is that everyone has one user name, one profile, one "new posts", etc and can use both sites seamlessly. vBulletin 4.2 is out and may have better back end tools to accomplish this.

Posting the Terms of Service that we all agreed to when we created our APUG accounts:
    -Questions regarding digital techniques or digital techniques connected with traditional processes should be posted at hybridphoto.com [aka dpug.org]
    Side note, I had an issue re $canning and subsequently posted on DPUG and got GREAT advice. Now what is the issue? What is so hard about creating two logins? Really? I am sure your same login over at DPUG isn’t used yet, we are talking about 20 seconds of your life to open an account and having to keep two browser windows open....aghast…

Cant we just all go back to our corners and make imagery and post here and there should you need help re technique?

If you don’t agree, please join this site and tell them about Gap and other clothing companies while you are at it….
    www.handmadeclothes.com/forum/index.html

Or join this and let them know about Canon’s new camera systems….
    www.nikonians.org/
    Andy

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    In two years I will have been on this Site for 10 years, over that time I have weened myself with the forum settings to only receive one or two forums.
    Darkroom being one. I have not looked at the Soap Box or other threads for many years now and am happily oblivious to the 56000 others on this site if indeed they exist.
    The same characters are always popping up on the threads that I participate in, and I am positive these printers can make beautiful prints as I have seen many of their work. I hope I can participate for another 10 years here, but seriously now, all my attentions are moving to alt mixed process prints and I do have to use modern technology to make these prints.
    My hope is that somehow the powers that be , see that those of us promoting digital have only one purpose , and that is to make beautiful prints. I know many great workers who do not participate here because of this bickering and we are the losers with them not being here and helping with their photographic knowledge.
    Now and in the past I have been willing to contribute a bit of Finances to this site, I am here daily and sad as that may be I am a darkroom worker and my interests in darkroom work bring me here each and every day.

How about a section that is subscription fee based , so that the moderators can get paid, also the fee will scare off the wankers that spend a lot of time talking but couldn't make a print if they tried. Newbies would benefit with a section of APUG totally dedicated to the fine print.

Before the internet I purchase every single Fred Picker newsletter when I was a newbie and fascinated with the process of printing.
    Why not make this a fee based rite of passage . You cannot get on Kelby Training without paying $200 per year... think about it , Sean , John, David, Sussana and many other moderators are doing a great job and I for one have zero problem paying to be on a forum that is dedicated to the enhancement of photographic print processes by any means.
    I know that I am self serving here in my wishes, but as I think this place could be fantastic.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    thanks Bill... for that nice compliment you can send me a file and I will make you a Silver Digital Print.
    You're funny. I'll send you a box and you can send me a fresh sheet of Galerie 4...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Ok but no safelight with this paper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    You're funny. I'll send you a box and you can send me a fresh sheet of Galerie 4...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    I have to disagree

Name one Site that is more dedicated to printing than APUG and I will eat my hat.... I just want to discuss alt methods of making these prints, and unfortunately/ fortunately it means using some digital gear.
    I have no idea if there is any other site that is as dedicated to printing as APUG is - so I may be wrong in this respect. But still, what you're asking means something else than APUG. An APUG/DPUG interlinking can maybe solve the issue for some people.

I think that DPUG is going to reach a critical mass eventually. It's just a matter of time and contribution.
    Last edited by Jerevan; 07-21-2012 at 12:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Judging by its activity I will be dead , so I hope something else will come about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    I have no idea if there is any other site that is as dedicated to printing as APUG is - so I may be wrong in this respect. But still, what you're asking means something else than APUG. An APUG/DPUG interlinking can maybe solve the issue for some people.

I think that DPUG is going to reach a critical mass eventually. It's just a matter of time and contribution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post

IMO DPUG's lack of critical mass is very "telling", if there was significant unmet demand for a Hybrid discussion it would be busy.

DPUG isn't the only player though. There are lots of choices and options on the digital side.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    As for the hybrid world I am unsure about the future in hybrid. How much hybrid is out of necessity because some digital technology simply isn't there yet? 10%, 30%, 90%? What happens when digital capture and output can create a 100% perfect replica platinum or carbon print that is 100% indistinguishable even with a microscope? For example the carbon texture can be replicated with 3D printing technology providing the telltale raised textures. Is it wishful thinking to assume hybrid proponents will remain hybrid when those processes can be done 100% digitally with 100% no discernible differences to hybrid? I know it's not the best analogy but hybrid vehicles are popular right now, and what happens when the battery technology finally comes of age allowing for full electric vehicles? Will anyone buy a hybrid vehicle at that point? What I'm getting at is why is there a hybrid workflow? Is it a passion for the traditional printing methods, or is it waiting for the day digital can actually do it all?
    Interesting point, food for thought.

Can only speak for me personally, but I take my originals on medium format reverse processed trannies, and never plan to change film for digital.

For my polymer photogravures, I use digitally enlarged +ves to make my plates, then it's old fashioned hands-on from then on with inking, pressing etc. No intention of ever going digital for my original photos as I love the look of film, and love having a physical object rather than just pixels. Am planning to get into pt/pd printing via the hybrid route too - but the starting image will always be analogue. Not sure ho typical this is, but for me, digital negs are just a way to expand my film photography.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    IMO DPUG's lack of critical mass is very "telling", if there was significant unmet demand for a Hybrid discussion it would be busy.

It isn't obvious to the casual browser that DPUG includes hybrid techniques.

Besides, there are probably digital shooters that have the same sort of rabid feeling against analog technology that some of the analog shooters here feel about digital.

The great thing about a hybrid approach is it can draw from the strengths of both technologies.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    It isn't obvious to the casual browser that DPUG includes hybrid techniques.

Besides, there are probably digital shooters that have the same sort of rabid feeling against analog technology that some of the analog shooters here feel about digital.

The great thing about a hybrid approach is it can draw from the strengths of both technologies.
    Exactly!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin