Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,148   Online: 893

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    I am confused . . . I expected to see backlit henna designs. All I saw was . . . backlit. Maybe I missed something.

I was happily shooting portraits until one day I realized that lots of folks shoot portraits. Egads!! What to do??? Well . . . I decided to carry on. I have even photographed people who had been previously photographed by another photographer. I mean the exact same face! As it turns out the photos were not the same despite having the same subject.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    I am not even sure I know how to do that. Not that I would want to.
    I should have said "As long as you are NOT using his images to setup your shoot.". In other words, you are not trying to make an exact duplicate of his work.

I would suggest that sometimes seeing someone else's work just inspires our own creative juices. For example, a few weeks ago I bought a book of Black & White photographs of the Ka Iwi coast - the windward side of Oahu facing Molokai - not because I liked the photos, they were not very good, but because I am interested in photographing the same area myself.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Big effin' deal. Go on ahead. Such shots are not only are reminiscent of the late 70's, but even the 1930's constructivist movement. Just go ahead and make what you do your own -- don't worry about hewing too close (or too far) from someone else's superficial similarities.

KB

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    To the untrained eye, his work may seem marvelous. There are way too many inconsistant shadings for the given lighting on each image. You can also tell that he burns down the highlights and tries to make it look more pleasing by blurring them.

I commend him at being a great Photoshopper, but his images don't tell me much about his photography.
    Money is not the problem. The problem is, I don't have any.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Myth #6
    The it-has-been-done-before syndrome.
    See "on being a photographer"
    David Hurn/Magnum
    in conversation with Bill Jay
    Lenswork publishing 1997
    2nd edition page 89
    www.lenswork.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mark,
    Go for it. Keep developing your ideas as you see them.
    Good luck.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Images
    Thanks folks.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    These images are very similar to a lot of commercial work I've seen in the past. Some of the old masters of photography like Steichen, Outerbridge, Bernhard, etc., have all done similar things as have many contemporary photographers.

Don't let the fact that your idea is similar to others stop you from pursuing your vision. After all, "great minds think alike."

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by donna-marie
    I am confused . . . I expected to see backlit henna designs. All I saw was . . . backlit. Maybe I missed something.

I was happily shooting portraits until one day I realized that lots of folks shoot portraits. Egads!! What to do??? Well . . . I decided to carry on. I have even photographed people who had been previously photographed by another photographer. I mean the exact same face! As it turns out the photos were not the same despite having the same subject.

Donna-marie,

You plageristic slut. How dare you.

As I've said before, everything (almost) has been done before. We build upon what has come before. We imitate what we love. Humans are great imitators.
    There are very few originals in this world and they are usually so screwed up that no one cares about them anyway.

Just my always humble opinion,

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    originality is overrated - it gives salesmen, historians and lawyers something to do. besides 99% of everything isn't original and the other 1% is totally derivative.

perhaps a more useful inquirey might be: "how can i do it better?"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin