Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,221   Online: 1168

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    I have been working on this for a few weeks and then a buddy of mine pointed out this guy's work.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/member-...61&include=all
    Most of these would make great wallpaper for the New Bauhaus Retirement Home.

If Joyce Tenneson can get away with a shamelessly derivative project like Wise Women, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...04135?v=glance, I wouldn't worry about aping this guy for a second.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mark,
    Thanks for the idea... I think I'll try it myself. (kidding)

In this society, it seems like whomever becomes famous first is the originator of the idea (unless someone else had a copyright or patent).

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Donna-marie,

You plageristic slut. How dare you.

I know. I am shamed. Yet I continue. I feel sick . . . a little.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hmmm? Sorry? Wassat?

You mean, every time we click the shutter it has to be a completely original idea?!

OH MY GOD! FILM IS DOOMED!

THERE WILL BE MAYBE THREE EXPOSURES A YEAR! TOPS! NEVER MIND ILFORD! KODAK AND FUJI WILL COLLAPSE IN RUINS! ALL PHOTOGRAPHIC ACTIVITY AS WE KNOW IT WILL CEASE!

NURSE, NURSE, MY MEDICATION!

Ahhhhh... That's better. Back to my derivative claptrap. Where's that waterfall project of mine up to?

Regards,

Frank (plagiaristic slut to the masses!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you sure the page we were directed to wasn't a xerox from a stock photography catalog?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    An old boy on my course last year done something very similar to these photo's & I'm 99% certain he would never have seen these.
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rakuhito
    originality is overrated - it gives salesmen, historians and lawyers something to do. besides 99% of everything isn't original and the other 1% is totally derivative.

perhaps a more useful inquirey might be: "how can i do it better?"
    Or (imo) don't even worry about THAT -- don't worry about your work in relationship to others' AT ALL (unless you are commercial). Make the very best things you can. Define what "best" means for yourself. When you are making art that you can judge by your own criteria, comparisons will be unnecessary.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Which teapot do we want to dedicate for this tempest?

Again, there was this Photography 101 Assignment - "Go and photograph something never seen before."

At first, daunting. Then the thought: Expose a sheet of black and white paper to ambient light, and develop for maximum black. Title it, "Black Hole". Claim it is a photograph of a black hole - never seen before - and STILL not seen. Of course, there would be no background of stars ... but there was no mention of including something that had been seen before.

Then, after further thought ... the easiest assignment possible. Every time we photograph it is "something never seen before." We could, and always do, see something "similar" - but never precisely the same.

Even if we go to a well-worn site of a great photograph, and use the same tripod holes, the resulting image will be different - the cloud formations will not be the same -- nor will be the light - sun position for the seasonal date; diffraction in the atmosphere due to moisture and dust; changes in film emulsion/ processing, lens characteristics ... it is possible to think of an infinite number of factors.
    I can't even duplicate one of my own photographs ... I'll revisit the scene - and my "vision" will have changed - the light is different ... etc,.

I would never worry about something someone has done before. Everything you do will have been influenced in some way, by previous images you have encountered ... but your work WILL be unique.

Work in good faith. Nothing else really matters.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'd continue with the project. Whatever you come up with will be with your own mind and ideas. It doesn't matter if you deal with the same subject or the same technique. If we all worried about that, nothing would be accomlished. It's like when I assign a paper to my students. Although I assign one topic, I get a different response from each individual student.
    When it DOES become a case of plagerism is when a photographer stands in the exact spot, with the exact lens, film, shot, and so forth doing a knowing imitation of the earlier photographers work. From the impression I have, you aren't in that kind of situation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    Big effin' deal. Go on ahead.
    Ditto.

I am wondering if you were concerned over copyright or trade mark infridegments? I'll answer that too in advance - nope. Go ahead.

You may not be the first, but you may be 'better'. IMNSHO you're shooting film, so you're already there.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin