Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,943   Online: 936

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

D.C. police directed not to interfere with photographers

FYI, a step in the right direction:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...y.html?hpid=z3

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow that is the best news I have heard in a long time. I'm a pretty high level employee of the largest employer in our city and I got harassed in front of my family while taking pictures as we were waiting to be picked up from the airport after a family trip to Disney. First he separated me from my family by asking me to cross the street to the berm on the other side where he was standing. The officer asked what I was taking pictures of and I said 'I'm just looking at the architecture.' He looked at the company logo on my shirt and said 'you don't look like an architect' as if one needed to be an architect to look skyward. At that time 2 other officers started coming over and frankly I was scared. I could't wait to get out of there. What kind of training do they have that causes them to harass a father with a camera in the company of a group of children wearing Disney shirts, with stuffed animals and theme park toys waiting with luggage at the pickup lane?
    Last edited by ic-racer; 07-23-2012 at 10:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Wow that is the best news I have heard in a long time. I'm a pretty high level employee of the largest employer in our city and I got harassed in front of my family while taking pictures as we were waiting to be picked up from the airport after a family trip to Disney. First he separated me from my family by asking me to cross the street to the berm on the other side where he was standing. The officer asked what I was taking pictures of and I said 'I'm just looking at the architecture.' He looked at the company logo on my shirt and said 'you don't look like an architect' as if one needed to be an architect to look skyward. At that time 2 other officers started coming over and frankly I was scared. I could't wait to get out of there. What kind of training do they have that causes them to harass a father with a camera in the company of a group of children wearing Disney shirts, with stuffed animals and theme park toys waiting with luggage at the pickup lane?
    Obviously, very inept ones.........

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This certainly is good news. I've had occasional run-ins with MPDC, but never with any serious consequences.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If a officer would ask that kind of question here, we would be on the floor of laughing and searching for the candid camera...
    Seems like people are always scared of something where you live... Exchange all guns with flowers and you have a better environment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    We are winning theses. Keep up the pressure!

http://carons-musings.blogspot.com/2...n-dropped.html

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie Jan View Post
    If a officer would ask that kind of question here, we would be on the floor of laughing and searching for the candid camera...
    Seems like people are always scared of something where you live... Exchange all guns with flowers and you have a better environment.
    I think I'll come to live in the Netherlands.

Here one has a right to photograph buildings unless they are national key points. Photographing a national key point is an punishable offense. The only problem is that the list of national key points is classified (no, I'm not joking).

Also, photographing the police in the execution of their duties, while quite legal, is also quite a good way to get intimidated, assaulted or arrested unless you ask the officer concerned in advance. I think they automatically assume that you are photographing them to document some irregularity on their part.
    Last edited by andrew.roos; 07-24-2012 at 08:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is awful. Anyone at an airport with a camera is suspected as a terrorist.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by htimsdj View Post
    That is awful. Anyone at an airport with a camera is suspected as a terrorist.
    And yet terrorists get really pissed off when they are referred to as photographers!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin