Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,284   Posts: 1,535,067   Online: 1085

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    It may be worth noting that Brett Weston was an accomplished wood sculptor.

Additionally, I recently noted that Cartier-Bresson spent the last thirty years of his life returning to his true love which was painting.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    This is like saying that the best financial traders (i.e. those who can make money from price action of financial and/or investment products) are those that have a PHD in mathematics, physics, etc., are great chess players blah blah blah. A case in point, the collapse of the hedge fund Long Term Capital Management. How may Nobel Prize candidates were part of that "profitable" outfit. There is no correlation between success and objective criteria. Sometimes it is all a matter of feel. And most case, it is simply coincidence. You are only as good as your last trade.
    Francesco

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco
    You are only as good as your last trade.
    Or your last photograph.. :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shouldn't even dead horses be treated in an ethical manner?
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco
    This is like saying that the best financial traders (i.e. those who can make money from price action of financial and/or investment products) are those that have a PHD in mathematics, physics, etc., are great chess players blah blah blah. A case in point, the collapse of the hedge fund Long Term Capital Management. How may Nobel Prize candidates were part of that "profitable" outfit. There is no correlation between success and objective criteria. Sometimes it is all a matter of feel. And most case, it is simply coincidence. You are only as good as your last trade.
    Francesco,

I am not sure that I understand your correlation between financial trading and artistic pursuits, or even if you were drawing a correlation.

I think that there are several aspects to artistic expression, no matter the medium chosen. Certainly a certain technical knowledge must be present whether that involves knowledge of exposure or of the characteristics of the materials used as in the case of photography...or it could be the ability to play a musical instrument in the creative expression within the field of music. Beyond that, in the field of photography, there must be an ability to see consistant with one's message. But it would appear that the photographer would have knowledge, a desire, or a need to express something. If not then the exercise is one of futility.

It would seem that this all involves knowledge. Without that knowledge the expression could not take place.

Once this knowledge is present then one can truly begin to express at an individual level apart from the influence of groups like F 64. I think that what I have been aware of is based in my own experience as it relates to photography. In that I began by emulating certain photographers. Then I developed a deeper appreciation of still other photographers and from that after many years I have come to a point of a more genuine self expression. That is what I observe in the link to this particular photographer and his efforts at self expression.

Self expression at the exclusion of following the flock is to be applauded in my opinion.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    Self expression at the exclusion of following the flock is to be applauded in my opinion.
    Exactly!

And Ralph, what's your point?
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    [QUOTE=Donald Miller

Self expression at the exclusion of following the flock is to be applauded in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

ditto

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EricR
    . . . And Ralph, what's your point?
    Apparently, it was a "dull", instead.

I just found some humor in the fact that it's generally acknowledged that the "photography as art" horse was killed decades ago, but it's still being beaten periodically. In a PC-obsessed environment, shouldn't we be concerned about the ethics of doing so?
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    127 Format
    I believe (at least vaguely) that Jackson Pollock said that his art was not in the creation, but in the selection. He could make 50 paintings, and select one as being worthwhile. Duchamp also had a lot to say about art being selection.

If art is selection, photography is almost pure selection, and therefore Art at it's most pure.

I think the painting thing is about learning to see - I'm a better musician than a photographer, and practised for years to the point where I was actually competent. During that time I THOUGHT I was learning about fingerings, and breathing - the physical stuff. I was actually learing how to listen. A lot of digital technology allows you to make music withouth the physical requirements of playing - but novices can't make great music with it, as they lack teh ability to hear. If I were a "digital" musician what would I do with my time to "trick" me into learngin to listen.

To a certain extent photography allows you to create an image without skill. To make a GOOD photograph requires a lot of skill, but how do you learn to see? I think that painting is a physical process that keeps the artist ocupied while they learn to see. It is possible to learn to "see" directly as a photographer also, but it takes just as long as learning to see by painting.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    Donald, would not disagreee at all - in fact I applaud you for taking the next step in 'seeing'. However, I do not think the link, at the start of this thread, does anything new - IMO. It could be that I just do not 'see' his vision, but for me they are just more of the same..work that feels like I have seen it before. Now, Michael Kenna and Rolfe Horn have done some work that IMO has moved out of the crowd and stands on it's own. W. E. Smith did some of the best artistic photojournalism work I have ever seen. So, this work just did not do it for me, it could be my own vision did not accept the work the way you did.
    Mike C

Rambles

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin