Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,375   Online: 1014

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Filming for Olympic opening

I watched some of the filming for the UK Olympic opening last night, which was entertaining, if not completely OTT and I am not complaining about the brilliant way it was done. However, I couldn’t help wonder if someone like Andrei Tarkovsky had been asked to handle this event, how he may have done it. Any thoughts?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really admire his films, in particular "Andrej Rubljow" and "Stalker". For me it is a wide stretch to connect them to the Olympic opening - but I am sure it would have been a very, very different film - and much more slow and intense. Heinz

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Dark and foggy with water dripping the whole time. Maybe not so festive, eh?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz View Post
    I really admire his films, in particular "Andrej Rubljow" and "Stalker". For me it is a wide stretch to connect them to the Olympic opening - but I am sure it would have been a very, very different film - and much more slow and intense. Heinz
    Stalker for me is the best film ever. He strikes me as a still photographer applying motion to make moving film. To me he is the HCB of cinematography.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I wondered who were the director of early color football worldcups ? There was long long running footballer shoes and legs which recorded with teleobjective and make you believe cameraman was running with them. These 60s Leica glass , orange black anatomic shots. I found that muscle , skin drapery , dark and information loaded grainy shots at Beijing after loss of that quality with new digital technology for 40 years. I love Karajan records with Berlin Philarmoniker were amazing.
    I think Tarkovsky would direct everything Poetically , close ups would be more and he would photograph the scene with LOMO Square Front Anamorphic Lenses and colors would be lyrical. More brave , I think.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Tarkovsky would've said, "I don't do that commercial hired gun @#$*. Now, if you will excuse me, I will get back to making my deeply personal films that I can do any way I want to without regard for audience expectations."

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Tarkovsky , his fathers poems and Artemyevs music were all of my expectations , including the actors and actresses , cameramen , lighting men , decor costume guys and the ultra high quality processing at Mosfilm. More interestingly , if Eisenstein had lived longer and Stalin ordered him to record Moscow Olympiads , what would be the result. He would not cry like Tarkovsky with anti Soviet feelings and do the best. Think if Rodchenko was the cameraman ... wow.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah, the great soviet art house filmmaker - I bet he would have had some insights into British heritage and culture! Kurosawa as a second option maybe?
    If we're talking about that era, Hitchcock would have been a little more relevant don't you think?

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger's style seems about right.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin