Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,644   Online: 955

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 711121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Do I hear the ghosts of the f/64 group speaking here?
    Yes, if you like - perhaps Edward Weston who produced stellar images using only the most basic equipment and competent technique...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    At the prior Olympics in Beijing Clendenin photographed athletes using a Polaroid. The horror!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/olym...e-snapsho.html
    Ironic that no one who is so appalled by the photographer's choice to present these images as such for the 2012 Olympics finds his 2008 Polaroids abhorrent. Is it because there is a sacred reverence for LF and any deviation from perfection (a la Ansel) is junk? Or are the Polaroids fine because he didn't degrade the image "unnecessarily"?

What about wet plate folks that have a pour that is less than perfect? Are those to destroyed?
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ironic that no one who is so appalled by the photographer's choice to present these images as such for the 2012 Olympics finds his 2008 Polaroids abhorrent. Is it because there is a sacred reverence for LF and any deviation from perfection (a la Ansel) is junk? Or are the Polaroids fine because he didn't degrade the image "unnecessarily"?

What about wet plate folks that have a pour that is less than perfect? Are those to destroyed?
    Once again, the issue is the artificial "quaintness" and lousy quality of the 2012 images being presented as what analog is.

I haven't seen his 2008 images and have no intention of looking at them. I have no interest in sports or competitions of any sort.

As for the wetplates, if you are trying to show what wetplate technology is capable of under the best conditions, you don't show the bad pours. If you are trying to show real-world results, you include the bad pours and show how to avoid that particular problem.

Wetplate whimsey:http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-your-Pixies!-)

No No NO. Are you kidding?

Over at the polaroid forum they're still going berserk over those 2008 pictures.
    Last edited by blansky; 08-08-2012 at 11:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Are your reading skills really that rudimentary? It's been explained very clearly, several times, what the dislike is. Diapositivo said it best, IMO.
    no my reading skills aren't rudimentary, i said the gist of what you and ian were suggesting.
    that his photographs were terrible, and he didn't present "proper" portraits, but had fun instead.

while you did not say these things specifically, the way i said them it is possible to read between the lines.

i am sure if the photographer wanted to, he could have presented perfectly exposed, perfectly processed
    and perfectly scanned portraits of the olympic athletes using his old lens and view camera. while using paper instead
    of film presents its own skill set, and challenges ( difficult contrast, non panchromatic emulsion and different processing methods )
    i am sure he could have shot in overcast conditions, used filtration, or paper flashing, and spent developer, or a low contrast developer,
    and scanned everything to make his black/white portraits look perfect ... but he didn't choose to do that
    instead he chose to have fun ... and it is the fun that he had that you seem to have taken offense to.

are you going to start getting upset with people who don't use the zone system next ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    no my reading skills aren't rudimentary, i said the gist of what you and ian were suggesting.
    that his photographs were terrible, and he didn't present "proper" portraits, but had fun instead.

while you did not say these things specifically, the way i said them it is possible to read between the lines.

i am sure if the photographer wanted to, he could have presented perfectly exposed, perfectly processed
    and perfectly scanned portraits of the olympic athletes using his old lens and view camera. while using paper instead
    of film presents its own skill set, and challenges ( difficult contrast, non panchromatic emulsion and different processing methods )
    i am sure he could have shot in overcast conditions, used filtration, or paper flashing, and spent developer, or a low contrast developer,
    and scanned everything to make his black/white portraits look perfect ... but he didn't choose to do that
    instead he chose to have fun ... and it is the fun that he had that you seem to have taken offense to.

are you going to start getting upset with people who don't use the zone system next ?
    Instead of "reading between the lines", why don't you just read the lines, and stick with that. I and others said clearly what we think is wrong with the images, and now you are holding me and others responsible for what you think we implied.

The zone system? Are you dredging up another controversial subject to excersise your agenda on? FWIW, I don't use it.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post

The zone system? Are you dredging up another controversial subject to excersise your agenda on? FWIW, I don't use it.

AHA. You don't use it.

SO !!!

WELL, you don't use it you say !!!

bail me out here....not sure where I'm going with this....but I thought it was maybe a gotcha moment........no sure....

oh, I know....

AHA !!! YOU DON'T USE IT !!!

Not a proper LFer then are you !!!

WELL THEN....

YOU'RE OUT OF THE CLUB THEN !!! AREN'T YOU !!!

YOU'RE AN EX- LFer.

And a disgrace.
    Last edited by blansky; 08-08-2012 at 11:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    AHA. You don't use it.

SO !!!

WELL, you don't use it you say !!!

bail me out here....not sure where I'm going with this....but I thought it was maybe a gotcha moment........no sure....
    Gotcha? Looks like you read up on those trials in Salem.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'd love to see how this conversation would end up in real life. This has become so ridiculous....
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    I'd love to see how this conversation would end up in real life. This has become so ridiculous....
    Let's see...

The ones who are being deliberately obtuse would all have been garrotted.

The ones who are putting words in others' mouths would be hanging from the rafters.

The ones who agree that the pictures suck would be gathered in a group around a computer, looking for the next unfortunate victim/photographer.

The neighbors would all be gathered around their computers, looking at real estate listings somewhere... anywhere else.

Actually, I sometimes think internet fora were engineered to foment this sort of thing. Fora are good for administering zingers, but not so good for real discussions.

I like to think we'd all have reached a consensus, or at least agreed to disagree, in a fairly efficient manner and in much less time.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin