Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,667   Online: 950

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    you are too funny ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    It's not flattery when the technique deliberately maks the images look far worse than they would be if genuine !!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    It's the [rocessing artefacts that are fake and deliberate, not the images and the use of older lenses

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    There is that, as a positive. I just wish the photography wasn't a complete misrepresentation of what analog photography is.
    Instead of going for a really crappy gimmicky look, he could have used a 100 year old Tessar and flabbergasted everyone with the sheer quality of the images. But no, he made a mess intead. The guy's a tool.

The problem I have with the project is that it seems to give the message that his very poor results are all that analog processes are capable of. Very patronising.

Well, my problem with the images is that they stand out by being bad. And, for many, this might be the only time they get to see an analog print, from any size format. A poor, gimmicky picture(s), that do not represent what the technology used is capable of, or intended for.

Absolutely. And we are free to express our dislike of his shitty pictures.

Once again, the issue is the artificial "quaintness" and lousy quality of the 2012 images being presented as what analog is.

I haven't seen his 2008 images and have no intention of looking at them. I have no interest in sports or competitions of any sort.

As for the wetplates, if you are trying to show what wetplate technology is capable of under the best conditions, you don't show the bad pours. If you are trying to show real-world results, you include the bad pours and show how to avoid that particular problem.

Wetplate whimsey:http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-your-Pixies!-)

lousy quality, crappy, gimmicky, shitty photographs ... didn't use the proper technique, deliberately made fake processing artifacts, not genuine, misrepresented and did not show what analog photography is ... bla bla bla

instead he had fun, and deliberately made shitty, crappy, gimmicky, lousy quality, photographs ...

are there different people posing as ian, and the 19th century lensmaker emil von hoegh?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    you are too funny ...

lousy quality, crappy, gimmicky, shitty photographs ... didn't use the proper technique, deliberately made fake processing artifacts, not genuine, misrepresented and did not show what analog photography is ... bla bla bla

instead he had fun, and deliberately made shitty, crappy, gimmicky, lousy quality, photographs ...

are there different people posing as ian, and the 19th century lensmaker emil von hoegh?
    The circle closes:

I have no issues with his B&W images for what they are, and I'm sure he had fun making them. I've done similar for music videos - OK using digital techniques but I could do the same with analog stills.

My point is that in fact using film or paper negatives it's actually not that common to get all those artefacts/faults very often, so there's a high degree of dliberate intent in the images. So what I'm really questioning why when there's a direct comparison with Digital images, I'd guess it's purely commercial.

And to answer Klainmeister - I would say the same to the photographer face to face, I've done so before & I'll do it again. It's the context the images are used in rather than the images themselves.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    you are too funny ...

jnanian, trying to talk sense to you is like shouting down an outhouse hole. It just raises a bad smell.

I've made my opinion clear, I'm not likely to change it. How about you leave me alone, and I'll return the courtesy?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know why he even wasted his time using this camera. If he was set on misrepresenting the quality of 4x5 cameras/lenses, he could have just done some shitty photoshop work to get this "vintage" look.

I think this just fuels the misonception that film cameras produce "low quality and 'vintage'" looking photos.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I still think I'd prefer genuine shittiness over fake shittiness. I mean, yes, I could use my Droid to make a polaroid, but I'd rather have the real sensation, even if the results were identical. Isn't that what shooting film is all about?
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I see a guy trying something different, and lots of people making comments based on their own view of what the pictures are. The discussion pinpoints individual beliefs of what photography should be, none of which is of importance to the photographer. We can all discuss it ad nauseum, while the fact remains that he's the one with the pictures in the newspaper, and we're the ones arguing about it in a relatively narrow scope web forum.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    ...while the fact remains that he's the one with the pictures in the newspaper,...
    Much better him than me. The only thing I'd have shown those pictures to is the inside of the woodstove.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Much better him than me. The only thing I'd have shown those pictures to is the inside of the woodstove.
    Go on.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    I still think I'd prefer genuine shittiness over fake shittiness. I mean, yes, I could use my Droid to make a polaroid, but I'd rather have the real sensation, even if the results were identical. Isn't that what shooting film is all about?
    Crap is bad enough, artificial crap is just off the scale.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Go on.
    I've said it all in my previous posts, scroll up a bit and you'll find a collection of what I think of the pics. His pictures are affectedly bad.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin