Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,882   Online: 965

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Perhaps he should show some images by Frank Meadow Sutcliffe and then try and emulate them with digital cameras.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As was previously mentioned, he used paper, not film.

Each black-and-white portrait was exposed onto black-and-white photographic paper, processed in a darkroom and scanned into a computer.
    I liked them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like them too. I think those fake Photoshop filters that make digital images look analog shows that imitating sincerest form flattery

You don't see analog photographers putting filters in front of their cameras to fake pixels

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Makes me glad that 30mm Petzvals are not common...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I like them too. I think those fake Photoshop filters that make digital images look analog shows that imitating sincerest form flattery

You don't see analog photographers putting filters in front of their cameras to fake pixels
    That's a really, really good point...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    That's a really, really good point...

Ken

It's not flattery when the technique deliberately maks the images look far worse than they would be if genuine !!!!!

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    However they were done, they're terrible in my not so humble opinion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    It's not flattery when the technique deliberately maks the images look far worse than they would be if genuine !!!!!

Ian
    Not the flattery part. The converse logic part. Not needing to try to look like the other technology in the other direction.

Lots of rebate plug-ins, grain plug-ins, and faded-colors-to-look-like-1950 plug-ins for digital images. But not too many camera or enlarger filters to add that pixellated look to film photographs.

Wonder why that is??

Besides, failed attempts at flattery are still flattery, aren't they? It's just the implementation that sucked. Intentional or otherwise.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 08-03-2012 at 05:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find them annoying. They're affected. They don't look like old pictures, so what's the point? The contrast is way funky, and the artifacts just make them look messy. Just perusing some of the old shots available on Shorpy shows what could be achieved long ago.

If these had been taken a hundred years ago, hell 150 years ago, the guy would have been advised to find another line of work.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think analog imaging to older folks like me, will part of our vernacular. These effects might bring us back to a more genuine and simpler time when you really can believe a photo. It's not just fake photo effects like grain and streaks. It's also with video and audio too. They have scratched film effects for video, pop and clicks for people that record digital music. That's my take on it.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin