Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,684   Online: 1138

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1014151617181920212223 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Astroturf?
    Yeah you old analog guys, "get the hell off my Astroturf."
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    Yeah you analog guys, "get the hell off my Astroturf."
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipA View Post
    I have never encountered this misconception you speak of. I don't think such a thing exists.
    I didn't think they existed until last Xmas, but I was told that film was outdated and not capable of the qualities of digital, strangely I use the same model Digital SLR as the person who made the statement.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Ian - So is it our responsibility as analog photographers to never photograph in a manner that could give the perception that analog tools can be misconstrued to give the impression that their attributes are less than superior to other methods of photography? I don't remember seeing such a decree when I bought my analog camera? Is it some kind of fine print in eBay or Craigslist or in th Apug classifieds???
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi andy

i think the problem is the general public is clueless, and like sheep.
    they believe everything they see, and hear and unless they hear or see otherwise
    they think it is the only truth there is. ignorance is always bliss

so if someone is told that analog photographs, are crap compared to digital
    that paper negatives look like hell, and old folders or box cameras or old looking bellows + brass lens cameras
    only take crappy photos that look "old" they will believe it unless they see or are told otherwise.

and the other side of the coin is that if people who are used to goofing around with digital images
    see that it is just as easy and maybe even more fun to do something creative with chemical based photography,
    maybe there will be more people goofing off in both media ... or doing hybrid work because with chemical photography
    you can get different effects that are unobtainable with numbers ..,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Ian - So is it our responsibility as analog photographers to never photograph in a manner that could give the perception that analog tools can be misconstrued to give the impression that their attributes are less than superior to other methods of photography? I don't remember seeing such a decree when I bought my analog camera? Is it some kind of fine print in eBay or Craigslist or in th Apug classifieds???
    I'm not Ian, but I'll answer.

It's our responsibility as (hopefully) acceptable human beings not to misrepresent either ourselves or what we do. If you really want to get to the grit of the matter, this is what I think the photographer did - sold a gimmick, said gimmick the result of misrepresenting analog photography and his skills. I find that reprehensible, to put it mildly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    No not at all and I'd never suggest that. However it depends how you use work and in this case it's a comparison of analog versus digital and the photograpger has deliberately made the analog results worse than they should be.

If any of us did the reverse we'd have to whole Digital brigade down on us like a tone of bricks.

So in this case it's the context in the LA Times not the images themselves.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I'm not Ian, but I'll answer.

It's our responsibility as (hopefully) acceptable human beings not to misrepresent either ourselves or what we do. If you really want to get to the grit of the matter, this is what I think the photographer did - sold a gimmick, said gimmick the result of misrepresenting analog photography and his skills. I find that reprehensible, to put it mildly.
    Please urgently talk to Sean and demand all Minox users be removed from APUG at once. The thought of these folks out there taking images that are sub par when they can go to a thrift store and get a full frame p&s with better IQ......these folks are ruining our image
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    If any of us did the reverse we'd have to whole Digital brigade down on us like a tone of bricks
    Nahh....that would be out of scope for this forum as is this thinly veiled discussion of other methods is...
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    ...and the other side of the coin is that if people who are used to goofing around with digital images
    see that it is just as easy and maybe even more fun to do something creative with chemical based photography,
    maybe there will be more people goofing off in both media ... or doing hybrid work because with chemical photography
    you can get different effects that are unobtainable with numbers ..,
    That is the truth, or Facebook wouldnt have paid a billion or so dollars for Instagram....also Lomo is doing great too...

I like your positive spin on it...
    Andy

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin