Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,131   Online: 1107

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't understand the hostility. I think this was a good idea. I think the pictures have charm.

A young photographer shoots paper negatives to achieve a look... Seems real to me.

The artifacts from splashing developer and mottled processing appear real. The rebates appear real.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As photographers, we should be looking to produce the perfect flaw. Especially in a digital age!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    .. The contrast is way funky, and the artifacts just make them look messy.

The contrast is "funky" because they are paper negatives. Plus he might be bad at processing, I know I was when I tried LF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I don't understand the hostility. I think this was a good idea. I think the pictures have charm.

A young photographer shoots paper negatives to achieve a look... Seems real to me.

The artifacts from splashing developer and mottled processing appear real. The rebates appear real.
    I like them. They have the ortho look of paper negs, and I think the posing is better on those ones than the digital shots.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Interestingly, a USA Today shooter did this schtick almost a decade ago, for the Athens Olympics.

http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1284

And I seem to recall someone Frankensteining an old tiny Petzval lens onto a Canon 5D DSLR, but I won't go into that here....
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael W View Post
    I like them. They have the ortho look of paper negs, and I think the posing is better on those ones than the digital shots.
    Yes, any excuse to shoot 4x5 is fine by me!

I think maybe the hostility was a knee jerk reaction when at first glance it looked like it was a trick.

Then closer examination shows they are genuine and that's all right.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    We wasting too many brian cells discussing this turd - So, back to our own pursuit of what is good about silver jelly

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not a LF kind of guy but for example, the second image with a bike... The dreamy fuzzy effect is all on the background but stops abruptly just for the athletes face and the shirt. "USA" is perfectly clear with no distortion. What the heck...?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

I think they're interesting and fun. Naturally black and white vs color gives the images an added interest.

BUT if you printed the digital in black and white and controlling depth of field and other aspects you'd have more interesting pictures as well.

I don't know why we're over thinking this.

Just enjoy it.

By the way, check out Mark Tucker's work for a great working photographers work.
    Last edited by blansky; 08-03-2012 at 09:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I'm not a LF kind of guy but for example, the second image with a bike... The dreamy fuzzy effect is all on the background but stops abruptly just for the athletes face and the shirt. "USA" is perfectly clear with no distortion. What the heck...?
    That's the way petzval's look when used for negative sizes too large for their original purpose.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin