Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,928   Posts: 1,556,830   Online: 838

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast
    CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    This - Olympic Athletes Photographed Using a Field Camera and 100-Year-Old Lens

has to be some of the worst photography I've seen, totally fake and inaccurate.

The lens is way over 100 yeras old and images have deliberately faked artefacts to make them look old it's an insult to those using film.

Ian
    Think you need to work on a higher "outrage" threshold, surely.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the photos show an interesting contrast between “old” and “new”.
    Yes, an outdated 1990s color fill-flash style compared to the newest retro swirly-lens craze.

Shooter
    35mm
    It's art, pure and simple. Art doesn't have to reflect reality accurately. The photographer was going for an old photo look. My first thought was that he was using some orthochromatic film, until I saw he was using paper, which explains a lot of the look as most B&W paper is not red-sensitive. I think he could've done better without some of the blotchiness, especially of the last image, but if he got the look he was going for, good for him.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Yes, an outdated 1990s color fill-flash style compared to the newest retro swirly-lens craze.
    That "retro-swirly-lens-craze" is one that makes me want to vomit on every photographer who uses it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So long as publications keep mentioning analog photography as something worthwhile - and I think that's the emphasis of this article - it's all good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    He was using the lens on a larger negative than it was intended for, and his processing was sloppy. That misrepresents analog photography pretty thoroughly.
    That's really it for me. The sloppy processing, deliberate or not, makes for distracting streaks and blotches. Old photos look so much better, and most modern paper negatives also do.

While attention given to analog is a good thing, and the idea of it being cool is a good thing, showing it just as some quaint lo-fi way of rendering doesn't really serve it all that well.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh My F'ing Gawd - The LF Analogue snobs are out in force today. Do you guys do judging at camera clubs, because it surely sounds like the "doesn't fit what should be done, so its bad" mold that you see in these amateur clubs......

The pictures are what they are. The photographer probably had exactly what you see in mind when he went out to do the shoot. He applied some different techniques to get what he wanted and he is probably very happy with them. Sure, they might not be everyones cup of tea, but he got people talking about large format analogue photography didn't he.

Me personally? These photos show character - they are different (& dare I say, a damn sight more interesting then those shocking official photos that were published a few months ago).

Worry less, shoot more...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree! The cat is shooting analog.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Speaking for myself, I just don't think they're all that great. I intensely don't like the blotches, streaks, etc. I think they add nothing to the images, but distract considerably.

Snobbery, no. I just don't care for them, for reasons I've already stated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I agree! The cat is shooting analog.

Your Maine Coon? All right!

All mine ever shot was hairballs.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin