Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,384   Online: 873

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Here's Jim Galli's blog post on the swirl effect--

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Af.../Swirlies.html

All well and good for Jim's technique.
    But I am not convinced. Have a closer look at the guy with the bmx and the razor sharp — almost bas in effect — delineation from the swirls in the background. Given the primitive nature of a Petzval (and despite its capacity to rudimentally correct some of the 5AS), I would like to see some informed technical answers regarding glaring inconsistencies in the images.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    I wonder if we'll ever see the original paper negs?
    Why on earth would we ever see the original paper negs???

I got the impression that the article (and the project) was simply presenting two different photographic looks - a clean modern digital look, and a rather different look using older pre-digital gear. I didn't realise that the photographer was taking part in some sort of competition governed by a strict set of rules. Or promising to produce fully analog images that are as clean and technically perfect as possible. Or conducting a scientific comparison of film v digital...

So why all the moaning and nit-picking? He probably has used a fully-analog process with some deliberate processing blemishes for a certain sort of look. Then again, maybe he has thrown in a hybrid touch there somewhere. Who cares? I cannot spot the hanging offence here.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    All well and good for Jim's technique.
    But I am not convinced. Have a closer look at the guy with the bmx and the razor sharp — almost bas in effect — delineation from the swirls in the background. Given the primitive nature of a Petzval (and despite its capacity to rudimentally correct some of the 5AS), I would like to see some informed technical answers regarding glaring inconsistencies in the images.
    WHAT "glaring inconsistencies in the images?" Go over to the Large Format Photography Forum, and take a look at the image sharing section. This is how Petzval and similar lenses behave. When the lens doesn't cover the designed image circle, stuff in the background goes swirley. It's a matter of distance! That's why they were used in studios, where the background was a blank wall. No swirls show up on a blank wall, so everything looks just fine.

This is why you'll never see a real Petzval photo filter. The effect has to do with distance from lens to the image. I posted about "Petzval field effect." Go and read! Better yet, get a Petzval-design lens for yourself, and have some fun!

I wonder if we'll ever see the original paper negs?
    Click on the link I posted, and look at the article. There is a photograph of the images in the sink. So there you go.
    Last edited by Brian C. Miller; 08-06-2012 at 01:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzeleid View Post
    Thank you.That was the point, I was wondering why the reds didn't turned out darker. I assume the paper is orthochromatic, the safelight for being red and so on.
    I had limited experience with paper negatives. So I was just guessing.

I hope your head does not hurt much.

hi again

different papers have different sensitivities ...
    there are some variable contrast papers that have a lot of blue
    some are sensitive to a lot of green ..
    some are blind to different color safelights ... dark red light red &c.
    if the photographer used a yellow or red filter, it would have been the same
    as using darkroom filters and adjusted the contrast not the tonal range of the image ...

its fun to make paper negatives, you can do it in any camera, 35mm, 6x6 and bigger,

i like hand coating paper with liquid or home-brew emulsions. primitive emulsions
    have a different look than "modern" name brand papers, and when hand coating
    papers ( and glass if you want ) you get painterly effects if you want too ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Speaking for myself, I just don't think they're all that great. I intensely don't like the blotches, streaks, etc. I think they add nothing to the images, but distract considerably.

Snobbery, no. I just don't care for them, for reasons I've already stated.
    Instead of going for a really crappy gimmicky look, he could have used a 100 year old Tessar and flabbergasted everyone with the sheer quality of the images. But no, he made a mess intead. The guy's a tool.

The problem I have with the project is that it seems to give the message that his very poor results are all that analog processes are capable of. Very patronising.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 08-06-2012 at 09:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Instead of going for a really crappy gimmicky look, he could have used a 100 year old Tessar and flabbergasted everyone with the sheer quality of the images. But no, he made a mess intead. The guy's a tool.

The problem I have with the project is that it seems to give the message that his very poor results are all that analog processes are capable of. Very patronising.
    Or he was just trying to do something interesting that looked like it was from the Olympics a 100 years ago or was just trying to do something "arty".

Don't forget not all photographers have a background in "the old ways" and not all photographers consider themselves to be the spokesperson for analog photography.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    Or he was just trying to do something interesting that looked like it was from the Olympics a 100 years ago or was just trying to do something "arty".

Don't forget not all photographers have a background in "the old ways" and not all photographers consider themselves to be the spokesperson for analog photography.
    He should stick with what he can do well, and leave the schtick alone. If he can't use analog processes well enough to give a fair representation, he shouldn't use analog processes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    maybe he was just having fun ?

do you rail on people who do wet plate or daguerreotypes,
    or people that make glass plates or hand coat their own paper
    because they don't have a perfect / pristine results?

it seems if you did, there would be very few people you would
    suggest give a fair representation of the analog process.

maybe the person making the plates, dags, home brew/hand coated
    photographs doesn't really care much about perfection ...
    and it is more about IMperfection/wabi-sabi...
    Last edited by jnanian; 08-06-2012 at 10:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post

Most commercial and editorial shooters are just hired guns and do what art directors want. They didn't hire an art photographer with his or her own unique voice. It isn't fakery, but he was just imitating photographers that use old processes like Sally Mann. There is an air of insincerity just using this method if it isn't really his style. Maybe he's trying to find his voice or he might have been told what do do?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post

do you rail on people who do wet plate or daguerreotypes,
    or people that make glass plates or hand coat their own paper
    because they don't have a perfect / pristine results?
    Not at all. The imperfections are part of the process, and indeed, unavoidable. As part of the process, they are also part of its charm.

The images the guy produced though, seem to have deliberately induced imperfections. If they were not deliberate, then the guy has a way to go to be proficient. We've all seen, and many have produced, very nice paper negatives. In those, what appear to be defects are really characteristics; they cannot be eliminated, nor would anyone want to, as they are intrinsic.

maybe the person making the plates, dags, home brew/hand coated
    photographs doesn't really care much about perfection ...
    and it is more about IMperfection/wabi-sabi...
    Perfection, or something close to it, can be achieved through modern processes, so I doubt that it is foremost to those engaging in those processes.
    Last edited by lxdude; 08-06-2012 at 02:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin