Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,840   Online: 788

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    if he made crappy holga photographs, or portraits with a speed graphic and aero ektar
    or a wet plate photo, full of streaks /uneven coating would you still have the same negative views?
    or is the problem the photos were for a newspaper article contrasting
    clinical over saturated, over contrasty digital v, analog ...
    grunge band rather than olympic athletes ?
    Last edited by jnanian; 08-06-2012 at 06:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    if he made crappy holga photographs, or portraits with a speed graphic and aero ektar
    or a wet plate photo, full of streaks /uneven coating would you still have the same negative views?
    Yes, of course. He could have used a Linhof, the results (or lack thereof) are what matter.

And I don't care about the subject matter, grunge band, athlete, tree, what have you.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Yes, of course. He could have used a Linhof, the results (or lack thereof) are what matter.

And I don't care about the subject matter, grunge band, athlete, tree, what have you.
    I see mostly sour grapes, pretentiousness, and failure to get the point of Clendenin's images in most the objections. Don't get the outsized hostility/outrage toward these shots at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    There is an air of insincerity just using this method if it isn't really his style.
    Seriously?
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Take a look and I'll let you be the judge

Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    Seriously?
    http://www.jaylclendenin.com/

It's just my opinion. The photographer is damned good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    http://www.jaylclendenin.com/

It's just my opinion. The photographer is damned good though.
    Yes but the point is you called it trickery when he does something that is outside his formula/style.

Why isn't it experimentation? Why isn't it fun and different? Why isn't it stepping outside his comfort zone?

Why do you feel cheated?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I didn't call it trickery. I love it when I and other photographers step outside their comfort zone. Without experimentation, nothing progresses. I don't know if it's fun but different? No.

My point is that he's a hired gun and the photographer will use a style that not his own to complete an assignment. No I don't feel cheated. Some art directors will go to a photographer and say "Hey can you do this?" even though it's not their style. As a matter of fact, I do like the fact that he's shooting analog with an old camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    I see mostly sour grapes, pretentiousness, and failure to get the point of Clendenin's images in most the objections. Don't get the outsized hostility/outrage toward these shots at all.
    *shrugs*

Some of the responses here are akin to a group of people waiting and praying for the analog messiah to come and bring the world back to what they think it should be.

The guy never said he was your messiah. He was just experimenting with an old lens.

This is just like the Life of Brian.

As his mom would say " He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af9EHtQMMc4

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Whilst I agree with Ian's statement:

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I think the point I was making in starting this thread was the photographer set out to deliberately make bad analog images/prints.l If he didn't then he's showing an unbelievable level of incompetence.
    He is free to do whatever he wants whether we like it or not.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin