Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,906   Online: 939

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gallery posts

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it's worth a try, Sean. If each "open week" generates a hundred new subscribers, it would be worthwhile, I'd think.

Personally, I think my $25/year subscription is the best investment I make each year.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Thanks Sean, interesting info, but if people feel passionate about film, then perhaps a small prescription charge is not too much to ask. Would such a move provide an extra intake of cash/commitment or not? I don't know, but perhaps food for thought. It may be worth a trial run, but I'm sure others will have views about this.
    I think locking the site down could potentially reduce traffic which could in turn reduce registrations and subscriptions. There's no way to know for sure but it seems a fragile balance between getting members, keeping members and eventually getting them to subscribe. If any firewalls go up it could turn many people off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I think it's worth a try, Sean. If each "open week" generates a hundred new subscribers, it would be worthwhile, I'd think.

Personally, I think my $25/year subscription is the best investment I make each year.
    Thanks Eddie, I'm going to look into this. It might even be better to find companies willing to sponsor open weeks. "This gallery open week is brought to you by "Company X".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hope you give it a try. If everyone gets a chance to see the added value of subscribing, I'm sure more would put up the 25 bucks... It's the equivalent of 4-5 rolls of film. I've saved much more than that by heeding the advice I've asked for, with some "problem" images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrede View Post
    To be honest I was under the impression that unless you took a picture of a 100% analog print, then it wouldn't be found acceptable. Since I don't have a darkroom, I don't have any analog prints. I did look in the FAQ one day when I was considering a couple uploads, and didn't see anything about the Gallery, so I forgot about it.

Later I did see on the Gallery upload page that negative scans are excepted: "We still accept neg scans in the galleries. We accept that some adjustment of contrast, brightness and sharpness may be needed to match the physical print and, for negative scans, to approximate a straight print." But what is a "straight print?" And does, "We still accept neg scans" mean they won't be in the future? What about digital dodge and burn and dust removal?

Being new I really didn't want to ask those questions but since you asked......
    Being new, you should ask.

I'll defend to the death the right to digitally remove dust from a scan.

As for the rest, in the past I've used the phrase "you should only do the things with a scan that you have to do when you print in the darkroom". By that, I mean choose an appropriate crop, good exposure, useful contrast and, for colour, colour balance. You should also avoid the extremes that are available only in the digital world, if possible.

Dodging and burning is definitely on the edge, but I'll confess I've darkened a sky or two in my time.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hello all, here is my 2cents worth. I am a 43 year old subscriber here on APUG who takes photographs to get new material to work with in the darkroom. This is a hobby and not a source of income.

When I first joined in 2007, I think I was searching for info on whatever, when I stumbled across this site. From memory I did not subscribe initially as I like to try/sample before I buy. At some point in time I did subscribe because I felt this was a resource that should be supported. APUG is not expensive for me, though in these times other sites I once subscribed to have fallen by the wayside as I am not drawn into them almost daily like here.

I have posted images. Albeit only 2. Why? In my case I just can't be bothered sitting in front of the computer to scan and then try to get the image on the screen to match the original and then resize before posting. I use a computer for 6-8 hours a day at work, and the last place I want to be is in front of one at home. The small tablet devices out there on the other hand let me pick up and read and write anywhere.

These are my circumstances if they are of any use.

Lastly. My hat goes off to all the moderators and Sean in particular for everything they work on in the background. If it was not for all of you APUG would not exist.
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I often see the same names of people who post images in the gallery (mine included). But if there are 59,174 members, why don't more people post?
    The rules here are you can't scan a negative and post your image that way. That's the ONLY way I can share my images. SO, I only post them to LargeFormat website, or Photo.Net etc. I've never posted an image here, and I shoot film almost daily with a nice collection of historic cameras & lenses.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, you can, Kent...

You can scan your neg and make minimal edit and post it. We just aren't allowed to make extensive edit - a kind that will be next to impossible in darkroom, well beyond your ability in darkroom, or the kind that will change nature of your image. Taken in sprit of the site, the rule allows you to do kind of things you would do anyway in darkroom and make a comparable image for upload purpose.

I would really love to see your images.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm not sure why I never upload my photos. This thread has me thinking about it though. I think I just assumed that those interested would visit my website. I may be wrong....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    The rules here are you can't scan a negative and post your image that way. Kent in SD
    Not true:

Please refrain from posting any images that have been manipulated digitally such as converting color images to black and white, photoshop filtering tricks, etc. Also no multi-media/mixed media hybrid images or hybrid images in general, this includes digitally enlarged negatives which are then contact printed (see our sister site hybridphoto.com if you are interested in sharing such work). All images posted should be a representation of 100% traditional work, typically negative scans or print scans produced from a 100% traditional workflow.

The uploaded image should be the best representation of the actual final print and nothing more. We still accept neg scans in the galleries. We accept that some adjustment of contrast, brightness and sharpness may be needed to match the physical print and, for negative scans, to approximate a straight print.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin