Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,480   Posts: 1,542,693   Online: 833

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ajs77306 View Post
    This is a "Philosophy and Ethics" forum. As such, a more complex and philosophical response is appropriate. Also, I do type in complete sentences. No matter, the original question was complex and layered.

If there was something specific that I typed that you felt was ambigious, please let me know and I will try my best to clarify.
    It wasn't what you wrote, but the extraneous "color", "font", etc that was rendering your messge illegible. Thanks for fixing that. I now understand your intended message. I also deleted my comment on that topic since it is resolved.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sometimes, depending on the time and place I'm conscious of the camera.
    But for using film? Hardly. I use 35mm Nikons, a Rolleiflex Standard, a 4x5 and an 8x10. No choice but to use film. In the small town which I live in, I'm well known as a stubborn single minded eccentric. None of the locals even notice, just the touroids. Plus, I really don't give a damn if some TV/ pop 'culture' addict leaps to an inaccurate conclusion. It's their problem, not mine.

As someone pointed out, just think, and if someone asks, respond, "that this is my hobby".

Most people understand hobbies and they understand that lots of people may have hobbies that are a bit obscure, and they sort of seem to let things go. I mean some people built things, miniature ships, bird houses, some people collect stuff, some people hunt antiques, some people drink, some people climb sheer cliffs, etc etc.

There is no logic necessarily associated with hobbies, it's just what people enjoy. And most people understand that.

So if you like taking pictures whether analog of digital, small or large format, and you get the big quiz, you only need to respond that, "Hey dude, it's my hobby."

And when wandering around with your camera, no need to feel self conscious, ....you're just doing your thing...... your hobby.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A few years ago, someone I know stated "everyone does something which someone else will think is strange". So don't worry about. Do what you want.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it's an interesting question. Shooting film, to me, IS photography. I don't know much about digital cameras, and the only one I own is attached to my iPhone.

Sometimes I use the light meter that's available for the iPhone when I travel light (it's surprisingly good), and I get some looks sometimes from people who think I'm nuts as it looks like I'm taking a picture with the iGadget, and then another with the film camera.

In the end, I feel great about what I do. That's all that matters. When people ask about my camera I am usually very forthcoming and respectful about questions. Some go so far as to contest whether it's worth it to still shoot film, with all of the advantages of digital cameras and work flow, and I simply tell them that it gives me a hundred times more satisfaction to shoot film and print in the darkroom, that it's simply much more fun for me. In the same breath I tell folks that I fully understand why others might feel differently, but that I take pride in doing what I feel is right for me, going against the modern trend.
    So, there is no self consciousness going on regarding shooting film. Just pride, a grin on my face because I'm enjoying myself so much, and just a hair of satisfaction that once in a while it spurs a great conversation when people are open minded enough (and I try to return the favor, obviously).
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    It wasn't what you wrote, but the extraneous "color", "font", etc that was rendering your messge illegible. Thanks for fixing that. I now understand your intended message. I also deleted my comment on that topic since it is resolved.

Now I understand what you meant. I agree with you, and have no idea why that had happened! Yes, I did correct that as soon as I noticed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    More self-conscious about shooting digital in public now. Main reasons - I sold all my EOS lenses, now left with the 18-55mm - average Joe is more aware of amateur/pro connotations of digital systems and I can hear them laughing at my 'toy' in their heads, and they are mostly right to laugh. It's silly, but I do feel inadequate shooting digital in public for this reason. But the digital only comes out for metering and test exposures anyway - it's put away quickly.

Making photographs in public these days, with many a suspicious gaze, I feel it's important to photograph with authority and it just happens that a hefty (and loud) medium format camera helps with this. I certainly feel like more of a prat when I get my iPhone out - "what if a film photographer sees me!?"

EDIT: I love that I'm using the term 'in public' as if photography, by default, should be practiced indoors.
    Last edited by batwister; 08-09-2012 at 02:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Interesting topic. I frequently feel self concious using my old film gear. Not because of the hipster connotation though, as I am old. Just because it calls attention to me and what I'm doing, and I really don't want to interact with people when I'm in my "zone." I get the hipster thing, my kids have an opinion on that (they grew up in Hipster Central), and it's not complimentary. Just do your thing, make some good work and be proud of it.

On a side note the "friendliest" camera I use is an old Rolleiflex TLR. Everyone smiles and likes it, young and old. Doesn't hurt that it is capable of taking outstanding photos, too.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tron_ View Post
    So this is a really stupid thing to think about, I will go ahead and admit that. It's completely irrational and pretty ridiculous but I thought I would post it here and see if anyone else has felt the same way.

First off, I'm a pretty young guy (23) and thankfully discovered film photography about 4 years ago. I think it goes without saying that we are all very passionate about analog photography here on Apug. Yes sometimes I still shoot d-d-d-d-d-******* but I would have to say that the split is 90/10 in favor of film at this point.

When I go out to shoot photos I sometimes feel a little self-conscious about people seeing me out with a 35mm SLR, 35mm rangefinder, or my medium format setup and thinking that I am one of those "hipsters" doing it for the "cool factor". I think this has come from me (unfortunately) meeting people like this who are just into film because they think it will give their photos a "vintage" look. It just so happens that these people consistently put out horrible photographs trying to achieve that "look" of dirty, old, scratched up, washed out photos full of artifacts and imperfections.

Now I don't want to look down on anyone, nor do I think I am gods gift to photography. But I am pretty happy with my progress over the years and see myself improving everytime I go out to shoot. I just feel that when people see me out with one of my film bodies, they assume I am one of these "hipsters" trying to look/act cool by carrying around a camera as a fashion accessory.

This is something I have been thinking about for a month or so now and it's gotten to the point where I find myself not bringing my camera everywhere I go like I normally do because of conversations like the following:

X: "Why do you always carry around a camera?"
    Me: "Because I like taking photos"
    X: "What do you take photos of?"
    Me: "Everything. Anything that looks interesting really."
    X: "Oh."

Cliffs:
    -Thinks other people think I am a hipster for walking around with a film body
    -Feelsbadman
    Tron, your post made me laugh because I'm in the same situation. I visited the Freestyle storefront in Hollywood for the first time last week, and I left my camera in the hot car because it felt extremely tacky carrying the thing into the store with me. I'm 25.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nope, not at all.

There was a time when I did but no more.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin