Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,831   Online: 1036

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I feel a self awareness about using my mf and lf kits, but not self conscious in a negative way. Because I almost always use a tripod, there's not much I can do to be invisible, so I've learned to somewhat enjoy the attention it gets. I've never been scoffed at, or looked down on, rather just the opposite. People will not infrequently make a comment to the effect that "what you're doing is 'real' photography." If it leads to conversation, so much the better. I like and admire digicams, but don't use one, so I am certainly not sending out a snobby vibe, and find the engagement interesting.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ajs77306 View Post
    You have a few things going on here, and some opportunities as well. First I would encourage you to get into the mind-set which would enable you to not care so much about what others may think about your actions. Feeling self-conscious is a part of personality development as is becoming self-confident.
    This is a good response, as the anxiety you feel is coming from you. Try and relax and don’t think as you wonder around with a camera. There is no angst; you are merely capturing light in a little box. Hope this doesn’t sound patronizing and hope it may help.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ahh, but you're only a hipster if you look the part, too.

You could carry something bigger...the look of fear in other photographers' eyes (usually g/gwc's) is classic when I have my RB with a 180, prism, grip and flash in my hand. They must think I'm going to beat them senseless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can understand feeling self-conscious about having a camera and using it "in public" but I doubt that most people are paying a lot of attention to the nature of what you are photographing with.

Well some will no doubt notice that you are using film, most likely most of those will have used film in the past, and will understand that your choice is just that - a choice.

If you are concerned about other's reactions, here is a test to try: Set your camera (medium format is most impressive) on a tripod and point it at something interesting. If people look interested, invite them to take a look through the viewfinder. I've had some really interesting discussions with strangers when I do this. And it has confirmed to me that people will appreciate what you do if you are clearly enthusiastic yourself.

By the way, if you want to get over feeling self conscious about taking photographs in public, IMHO the best cure is to do some work for a newspaper with a copy deadline and a liking for big "Art".
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Why bother?

You like taking pictures with a film camera. What other people thinks, is totally irrelevant.

Enjoy!

What I feel a bit bad about is the amount of water needed for the development, and the fact that I consume chemicals that are needed to be taken care of in order to not totally take a p*ss on mother nature (no, I don't just flush my used chems down the zink).
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    i'm always self conscious when photographing with a camera ..
    no matter the camera.
    i don't really care if people think i am a hipster or a geek ..
    they usually have an interest in cameras, and
    ask questions like " do they still sell film ? "
    if i can i let them look at the groundglass ..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just try as hard as I can to be invisible, unobtrusive and not very interesting. I'm busy, I'm a dinosaur, whatever, I just don't want to shoot a group of people in which 10 percent are looking right at me. I wear deliberately uninteresting clothing, I cut my own hair, and I wear shoes that I bought in a thrift shop. Not one thing is high contrast or bright in color. I can go anywhere. I have a bland, uninteresting face, and I deliberately groom to keep it that way. I'm a ninja. The invisible man. The man in black.

No, seriously, people do ask about the MF camera sometimes, I just explain that I really like film still, and that there are still many professionals and amateurs for whom digital has not yet provided a viable alternative, and that all of this equipment was good enough for Nat Geo and Cosmopolitan just a few years ago, so it's not like it's inferior equipment.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cramej View Post
    the look of fear in other photographers' eyes (usually g/gwc's) is classic when I have my RB with a 180, prism, grip and flash in my hand.
    A few years ago I photographed a wedding for a friend with my RB67. As we were leaving the registry office, the next wedding party was coming in. The digi-photographer with them gave my RB67 a "what on earth is that?" look.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    A few years ago I photographed a wedding for a friend with my RB67. As we were leaving the registry office, the next wedding part were coming in. The digi-photographer with them gave my RB67 a "what on earth is that?" look.

Steve.
    I sometimes use my Linhof ST IV 4x5 handheld, with the anatomic grip on the right and a Metz 45CT1 or Olympus T32 with grip on the left. Yes, I get stares and questions...
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 08-09-2012 at 04:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    A few years ago I photographed a wedding for a friend with my RB67. As we were leaving the registry office, the next wedding party was coming in. The digi-photographer with them gave my RB67 a "what on earth is that?" look.

Steve.
    You should have told him your Koni-Omega was in the shop.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin