Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,866   Online: 1027

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Film? Absolutely and proudly!

I make pictures only out of light-sensitive materials instead of some other method. For at least a century and a half the process was called photography to distinguish it from all the other ways of making pictures. I reckon that is still true in spite of the clamouring pretentions of digi-pix technology.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tron_ View Post
    When I go out to shoot photos I sometimes feel a little self-conscious about people seeing me out with a 35mm SLR, 35mm rangefinder, or my medium format setup and thinking that I am one of those "hipsters" doing it for the "cool factor".
    BUT FILM IS COOL!!!!!! Some folks are just finding that out! Serriously, dont sweat it, there are many of us at the analog table, the least we need to do is judge each other. Pat your fellow analog brethren on the back and keep going w/o a care of what anyone thinks of you and your motive for liking analog photography. Life is too short to care about anyone thinking you are X, Y or Z because your interest in analog photography
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have to admit I feel at least a little self conscious regardless of what camera (film or digital) I'm shooting. That's why I'm probably more comfortable shooting things other than people (animals, interesting things, etc.) I was a little gutsy (for me) the other day...I was out with my Yashica and one of my neighbors was in her yard painting. I asked and took a picture of her painting..I feel funny doing it but I got a decent image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think that some people may equate someone like you in their 20s using a film camera as a hipster when in reality you're serious in your choice of using film. Just keep on doing what you're doing without hesitation or reservation. As people have stated earlier in this and other threads, you can really educate people who are genuinely curious when they ask you about using film. A couple of weeks ago I was walking to work and I made my usual stop at a grocery store which is on the way and the young man at the checkout counter was fascinated by the tlr I was carrying with me. Tlrs do that, I get more comments when I'm carrying one, most of them complimentary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Every now and then tilt the the camera forward and look intently at the back or to really mess with onlookers put the camera up to your ear and talk into the lens.

Self consciousness has little to do with age. Approach situations with confidence and people generally assume you know your stuff. Enjoy film it is a wonderful thing.
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What makes me wonder sometimes is people want to see the back of my camera after I take a picture. I show it to them and carry on with out saying anything. Self conscience.... NOT a chance. Proud... EXTREMELY. And when they ask "What are you taking picture of ?" Maybe my blank stare as I try to remember what I took in the last 36 frame roll gets them moving along. And being a large fellow they really don't push it if I decide not to answer them. But if people are REALLY interested I will take the time to let them know how exciting film photography can be. Even @ 55 I am still thrilled with the process.
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 08-09-2012 at 11:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Non whatsoever! I just think with all I have learned since 1964, I possibly know a little more than the guy (or gal) who bought a digi SLR,a few years ago and think they are the bee knees! But in fact they could not tell the difference between a focal length and a bottle of beer!

I know it is a minor matter, but a little knowledge is not all that good and if they get a problem and I get a similar problem, I will probably be able to get around it. I have seen some good images from digital, very good images in fact, but also some truly terrible ones as well. The former from photographers who developed their skills with film and the latter who went straight into digital. Only very rarely the other way around.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Failure and Embarrassment

Quote Originally Posted by tron_ View Post
    When I go out to shoot photos I sometimes feel a little self-conscious about people seeing me out with a 35mm SLR, 35mm rangefinder, or my medium format setup and thinking that I am one of those "hipsters" doing it for the "cool factor". I think this has come from me (unfortunately) meeting people like this who are just into film because they think it will give their photos a "vintage" look. It just so happens that these people consistently put out horrible photographs trying to achieve that "look" of dirty, old, scratched up, washed out photos full of artifacts and imperfections.
    Rather than film or digital, and possible accusations of hipsterism, you are probably feeling more self conscious about doing what it really takes to make great photographs, and that is risking failure and embarrassment.

Failure: even the best photographers miss the target more often than not. Look at any photographer's contact sheets and see how often they "fail forward" in searching for just the right angle or expression. That moving and searching is often very physical, with a lot of crouching or knee-bending. Especially with medium format, you can start to look like a hunchbacked weirdo!

Embarrassment: you have to put yourself out there, and be willing to walk up to a complete stranger and say "can I make a photograph of you?" I've done this quite a lot, and I would say that 95% of people answer "yes." They are flattered. You've played to their ego. They want to know why you would select them out of a crowd. But the risk is that they will say no, and think you are a freak.

On some of my projects I used to give a long winded explanation. Now, I say simply "I'm working on a book of Rodeo photographs." Talk about an in! I'm going to make your photograph and it might be in a book. Yes! Let's do it! People really respond to that.

Last week, I was crawling around in a neighbor's yard, photographing a cluster of mushrooms that had popped up overnight. It was ungodly hot, I was dripping with sweat, and cars kept rolling by at 5 miles an hour to see what was up. Every time, I would just turn and wave and give them a big old smile. It seems weird, but it lets people know that you are having a great time, doing exactly what you want to be doing, and that you are not afraid to be seen doing it (as you would if you were a perv or something).

And I can't tell you how many times people have seen my Bronica and said "oh, you're a REAL photographer!"

So, take the risks. When you get the reward of great photographs, everything else will seem far less important.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depends on the situation and camera.
    When i carry my Dianas i know people will think i'm hipster, and i get the same feeling about my Olympus OM's.
    When i bring my Mamiya RB setup i think people think i'm either really pretentious or very engaged in this matter.

.. i don't care tho.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow, I'm really glad to see there were so many people who replied to this thread. I just had a chance to check on this thread again and was pretty surprised to see 5 pages

I think the thing that really irks me is that I am normally not a very self-conscious person. I'm pretty social, have no problem speaking in public (I actually teach an intro to digital and analog photography class locally on weekends), etc. That is what bothers me the most about feeling a little self conscious about toting around my medium format camera (or one of my 35mm bodies for that manner).

And despite not being self-conscious for years regarding analog photography, I don't really know where this came from all of a sudden. I mean I have done street photography, stopped people and asked for photographs, etc and just recently I've fallen into this trap.

I think it comes from wanting people to know how passionate I am about photography. It's something that I genuinely love doing and for some reason it bothers me seeing people using something I love so much as a fashion accessory (hipsters). On one hand I'm happy to know there are more people out there now shooting film but on the other hand I feel like a lot of people are just using it to perpetuate a certain image of themselves. With that said, I don't think I'm better than anyone else so I hope this reply doesn't give off that vibe

Also, I'm happy to know that there is a very wide spread of ages on this forum. For some reason I did not think there were very many people on here in the 50+ age group and I think it's really cool to hear their perspective on things so thanks for responding

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin