Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,256   Online: 734

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I cared to the point of insecurity about what other people thought at age 23, never got girls with those Nikons on my shoulders. Now at 45, I feel much better about life than when I did at 23 and don't really give a toot what other people think. A few years back I attracted the interest of a sweet young woman while my XPan was on a tripod and a Leica around my neck...we have been blissfully married for nearly 2 years.

"Be your self, everyone else is taken."~ Oscar Wilde
    Last edited by PKM-25; 08-13-2012 at 03:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I am 17 and am self-conscious while shooting too.

I suppose it's about age et al and just a psychological thing. I brought my OM-1 to school once and had nice comments, a few of the common "what is that, does it work" type of comments but nothing bad. It is curious for others but many won't care...
    Yet you've got that sensation.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If anyone doubts why you do it, just throw some numbers at them. I remember reading 6x4.5 has the same resolution as the new 80MP digital backs. But there is just a price difference of about... What $50,000?

And if you do 4x5 or larger, throw a bigger number out there - like to get the same quality you'd need a 350MP digital camera. Most people understand that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Anyone else a little self-conscious about shooting film?
    No.
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not really. The first time I lived in Japan (1999-2005) I shot mostly with my (manual) Nikon FE and got sympathetic but understanding looks from the old retired guys shooting their latest (Canon) slrs. Now when they see me (with the same FE, or F100, or Bronica), I get the same looks, if not a little wistful at times. The thing I find the most interesting is that Bronica is a Japanese brand, but most Japanese photographers don't know it -- the only MF worth owning here is Hasselblad or Mamiya. If anything, no matter where I am in the world, I get curious looks, but never in a negative sense. I feel self-conscious when using a tripod, but that has nothing to do with the medium, really.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    ...especially without knowing whether one is in front of the prop or behind it!
    Rotation is always described from the pilot's position. The engine in a Moth turns counter-clockwise, which is handy for propping it if you're right handed.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post

I'm sure I could think of more. At some point I started realizing that many people were very boring and I really don't care to waste my time with the sort of folks who work, watch TV in the evening, drink on the weekends, lather rinse and repeat.

Well summarized. That's exactly the sort of existence I can't stand. Dull, methodical, unthinking, shallow... But I guess that describes the vast majority of humanity. I almost never watch TV anymore. I can't understand why it would be preferable to passively wallow in some network's idea of entertainment when I could be engaged in the things that excite me (most notably, photography).

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know countless people who get off work, eat dinner and sit back and watch the boob toob the rest of the night. (e.g., stupid reality and comedy shows}. No hobbies, interests, or much desire to learn about the world around them. No matter their intelligence. That's not my style but to each his own, I guess.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Photography: WWGWD (What Would Gary Winogrand Do)
    Shoot 25,000 rolls of film and never process it.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin