Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,120   Posts: 1,613,268   Online: 971

Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 37891011121314151617181923 ... LastLast
    Aluminum or alUMINium.??
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    One more before I go to bed (it's dark here).

The phrase I could care less makes no sense. It's couldn't care less!

Ok, two. The most mis-used words on the internet are loose being used in place of lose and alot or allot in place of a lot.

Steve.
    I absolutely disagree. The second one is it's for its.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    A double negative is a positive.

But a double positive is not a negative.

Yeah, right...
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    The most mis-used words on the internet are loose being used in place of lose and alot or allot in place of a lot.
    I hate the "I am reticent to...(action)" in the context of "I am reluctant to...(action)"

'reticent' means to be 'disposed to be silent' and not 'disposed to not take action'

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From BBC America:

10 Things Brits Say…and What Americans Think We Mean

and

10 Things Americans Say… and What They Really Mean

10 Things Americans Do That Drive Brits Nuts

I have to say I totally agree with our British friends about turkey. Or at least, I used to agree since I haven't eaten meat aside from fish since 2005. But I think I know what happened with that one. The wild turkeys of North America, the one Benjamin Franklin wanted as our national bird and which I have also eaten (my brother in law and nephew hunt them) IS tasty, far better and juicier than the tamed cardboard. The tame turkeys have been bread for large breasts to the point the poor things can hardly waddle, much less fly as the wild ones can, and most of the taste has gone along with the darker muscle fiber. Somehow, Americans intent on getting more breast meat (er, "white meat" on this side of the Atlantic) never noticed they lost the taste along the way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    From BBC America:

Somehow, Americans intent on getting more breast meat (er, "white meat" on this side of the Atlantic) never noticed they lost the taste along the way.
    If it were only with the turkey...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    If it were only with the turkey...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    OK Roger, did you happen to find any "articles" of Americans complaining about Brits use of words? I bet they are less common because we just don't care how others spell color, organization, etc.....

Our collective diversity is our greatest strength! Words from the different regions, states, countries can become mainstreamed and I am proud! Why do I sometimes get the feeling that others are defensive on how things evolved?
    Last edited by zsas; 08-27-2012 at 08:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Now, just the what each says and what they really mean to clarify for the other. You're right, for the most part we don't care. We don't care not only when we shouldn't, as in when it's a different local use, nor when we probably should, like the outright abuse of the common apostrophe, the new spelling of "thru" and other such abominations. Well, I guess I'm not quite as unbothered as some some about such things after all.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Haaaa "thru". Guilty of that but as one who does computer programming, I probably have a inherent respect for jargon because we sometimes are limited by character length. I use "thru" all the time when programming, and wouldn't bat an eye using it as a value in a programming sequence (eg thru_dt). My team would never judge, as semantics just slow us down when the meaning is clear...

Back to the OP Clive, I love when you start up a thread that gets us all going! Nothing better than Blanksy showing up too!
    Andy

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin