Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,448   Online: 826

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I also recall when I worked on a European-designed typesetting machine, the language had me specify the vertical dimension first, followed by the horizontal dimension. So when I would created a 9 1/2 inch x 11 inch continuous form design (that ran on a web press with perfs at every 11 inches), I had to key the size as 11 x 9 1/2.

So my next question would be, when you specify 5x4...

Are you doing it because you are specifying the long dimension first?

Or are you specifying the height first?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I also recall when I worked on a European-designed typesetting machine, the language had me specify the vertical dimension first, followed by the horizontal dimension. So when I would created a 9 1/2 inch x 11 inch continuous form design (that ran on a web press with perfs at every 11 inches), I had to key the size as 11 x 9 1/2.

So my next question would be, when you specify 5x4...

Are you doing it because you are specifying the long dimension first?

Or are you specifying the height first?
    No, regardless of portrait or landscape we say 5 X 4, or as a previous post mentioned, more often 5,4.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, when you order wood do you ask for a 2 x 4 or a 4 x 2?

We had this argument before in a long thread about 3 years ago or so.

It seems that we in the US use 2 x 4 for wood and construction, and 4 x 5 uniformly for film, but in the UK they use 2 x 4 for wood and construction, but 5 x 4 for film and some other measurements. At least this is what I have distilled out in my memory.

So, what is right? Color or colour? How do you justify the silent "u"? (Oh, this is OT from the other thread too which degenerated into a good natured?? meleee.)

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    210 × 297mm
    OK so printing trade paper size is quoted differently than film size.

What about the silver gelatin paper? We've got common sizes 8x10, 11x14, 16x20, 20x24 in the US.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Well, when you order wood do you ask for a 2 x 4 or a 4 x 2?

We had this argument before in a long thread about 3 years ago or so.

It seems that we in the US use 2 x 4 for wood and construction, and 4 x 5 uniformly for film, but in the UK they use 2 x 4 for wood and construction, but 5 x 4 for film and some other measurements. At least this is what I have distilled out in my memory.

So, what is right? Color or colour? How do you justify the silent "u"? (Oh, this is OT from the other thread too which degenerated into a good natured?? meleee.)

PE
    Well if we take in Kodak, I remember reading a packet or can of D76 that talked about imperial gallons. Get real guys.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Clive, there were indeed Imperial Gallon formulas for the UK, Liter formulas for Europe and the rest of the world, and also Gallon kits for the US marked in metric units as well.

There was a huge thread on this as well!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The real question is why are your fries called chips, and why are your chips called crisps, and why (in America) if you want fish and fries, you have to order fish and chips?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    OK so printing trade paper size is quoted differently than film size.

What about the silver gelatin paper? We've got common sizes 8x10, 11x14, 16x20, 20x24 in the US.
    Don't you mean 10 X 8 ?

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What about us poor, confused Canadians?

A lot of the differences exist because the US broke away from Britain in 1776. Practices diverged from there. In some cases, the US practice is actually older and less evolved than current British practice.

In Canada, we sort of broke away from Britain about 100 years later. From then on, in Canada, the influences of Britain and the US tended to compete.

As an example, in Canada, we drink our mass-market (i.e. not craft brewed) beer cold, but it actually has flavour.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    The real question is why are your fries called chips, and why are your chips called crisps, and why (in America) if you want fish and fries, you have to order fish and chips?
    Because 'real' fish and chips do not come with fries...but instead, hand cut potatoes that look more like big wood chips rather than skinny potato material squeezed out of machines.

Ah...the fish and chips I use to get in New Zealand...25 years ago now.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin