Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,944   Online: 907

Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    What about us poor, confused Canadians?

A lot of the differences exist because the US broke away from Britain in 1776. Practices diverged from there. In some cases, the US practice is actually older and less evolved than current British practice.

In Canada, we sort of broke away from Britain about 100 years later. From then on, in Canada, the influences of Britain and the US tended to compete.

As an example, in Canada, we drink our mass-market (i.e. not craft brewed) beer cold, but it actually has flavour.
    Haa....so do Brits store their film warm too?
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Matt, Canada's confusion is no doubt the result of not allowing the french to secede. Blansky has america right we love to bastardize anything we can english freng german spanish chinese . If it's spoken we'll "borrow" it mispronounce or misspell it and claim it as our own.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ambaker View Post
    Because then we would have to admit someone else is right...

Metric! Our money is metric, that's all that is needed.
    And when our money was they were still on P S d H'penny Farthing ...
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We tend to give the shorter dimension first. This is true of both film and paper.

For example, a 35mm frame is 24mm x 36mm, even though 24mm is the height, not the width.

The exception is 6cm film. Since there are so many formats using that film, the 6 is usually given first (6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, 6x17, etc).

- Leigh
    Last edited by Leigh B; 08-26-2012 at 08:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post

As an example, in Canada, we drink our mass-market (i.e. not craft brewed) beer cold, but it actually has flavour.
    And alcohol!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Maybe it comes from the Printing Trade? I noticed that all the paper sizes in my US references are quoted with the shortest dimension first.
    Yes, that is the standard in the printing industry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I noticed that all the paper sizes in my US references are quoted with the shortest dimension first.
    The sizing nomenclature comes from printing, not just the printing trade.

The narrow dimension of the paper defines the minimum size of the machine needed to process it.

Take a look at your computer printer. It can print 8.5" x 11", or 8.5" x 14", or 8.5" high banner of arbitrary length.

But it can't print B-size (11" x 17"). That requires a different machine.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post

Although we do know that a car does not wear a boot or a bonnet and we correctly refer to them as a trunk and a hood.
    And our cars don't have wings either! British cars don't even fly worth a damn anyway.

And the head is part of the engine instead of being the roof, though we screw it up by referring to the material on the inside of the car under the roof as being the headliner.

And we shorten "gasoline" to "gas", though it's not a gas, and in UK they call it "petrol", even though it's not petroleum, just made from it, which is like calling a pork chop, "pig".

Well, enough of this. I'm getting tyred.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Well, enough of this. I'm getting tyred.
    Going round and round to no purpose.

- Leigh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To those who are so enamoured of the metric system I say try building a house using a meter stick. The metric system makes sense for scientific use but the englsh system is based on common practical units used in everyday life.

Perhaps if the english hadn't been so intent on cozying up to europe and prove that the english were europeans too they would also still be using the english system.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin