Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,697   Posts: 1,669,674   Online: 939

Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3236373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Only in the east end of London apparently.

As an example, when you ask someone if they are ok, the response from a normal person is usually "yes thanks". Whereas an Eastenders character would answer with "of course I am, why shouldn't I be?".

And if you come from the east end, the d in shouldn't is silent!

Steve.

Of course then you have the other end of the spectrum with the "good for you old man" types that hopefully have all died out.

Watching some of the documentaries from the Military Channel on the Brits in charge of the war effort like the Mountbattens and his group, that probably all went to Eaton. They all have the upper crust put on accent, dragging out words with a baritone drawl, trying to sound terribly important, don't you see. Boring reminiscences of their days in the House of Commons, and stiff upper lip and all that.

My God having to listen to those pompous asses for 10 minutes makes one want to do an Eastenders marathon.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've always liked the comment that "the existence of The House of Lords is proof of life after death."

May I suggest two older but great movies about the "upper crust". Alec Guiness in Kind Hearts and Coronets and Peter O'Toole in The Ruling Class.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 08-31-2012 at 01:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    like the Mountbattens and his group, that probably all went to Eaton.
    Eaton make twin speed axles for trucks. I think you mean Eton, a school founded by King Henry VI as a school for poor boys which has somehow lost its original purpose.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... talk about pedantic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Eaton make twin speed axles for trucks.
    And then some... http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/index.htm
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Of course then you have the other end of the spectrum with the "good for you old man" types that hopefully have all died out.

Watching some of the documentaries from the Military Channel on the Brits in charge of the war effort like the Mountbattens and his group, that probably all went to Eaton. They all have the upper crust put on accent, dragging out words with a baritone drawl, trying to sound terribly important, don't you see. Boring reminiscences of their days in the House of Commons, and stiff upper lip and all that.

My God having to listen to those pompous asses for 10 minutes makes one want to do an Eastenders marathon.
    Ignore Steve, as he really should have been a professor of English grammar, but missed his true calling in life. With regard to your point about our House of Commons, how true. How much parliamentary time is wasted each year with phrases like the right honourable gentleman?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... but those phrases are so poetic. But I wonder about the use of the phrase "gentleman" for any legislator.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Wouldn't the Mountbattens have been in the House of Lords?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Eaton make twin speed axles for trucks. I think you mean Eton, a school founded by King Henry VI as a school for poor boys which has somehow lost its original purpose.

Steve.
    I have a Scheaffer fountain pen from the early 1970s, the instructions say "Scheaffer a division of Eaton-Textron"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Traditionally a member's name is never uttered in Parliament since Charles I threatened to arrest its members. So some circumlocution was required. The practice was also adopted by the US Congress. It is always the senator from ... or the gentleman from ... Politicians being the pompous asses that they are love this stuff.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 08-31-2012 at 03:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin