Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,445   Posts: 1,643,398   Online: 739

Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3741424344454647484950 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    What's worse than a fake English accent is a fake southern accent.
    I was once working with a couple of Texans in England. The Texans kept using a fake British accent and the local lingo, so one day our English host started faking a Texas accent, using Texas sitcom expressions, and wearing a 10-gallon hat. The Texans had no idea what taht retaliation was about... they were clueless until it was explained to them. HILARIOUS!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    For those who don't know "the Valley" means San Fernando Valley, an area of LA that is over the hill from the Westside ...
    Damn right it does... but that moniker has, to the utter dismay of the fine people of the Valley, been adopted by many other places with mountains surrounding them. How rude that is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I must be on Blansky's ignore list. I have brought up the "valley girl accent" here before.

More recently it has devolved into a more nasal clipped form of speech and is found mainly in people of the female persuasion. I hear it a lot on TV lately.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I must be on Blansky's ignore list. I have brought up the "valley girl accent" here before.
    I remember that. It was a few years ago though.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post

More recently it has devolved into a more nasal clipped form of speech and is found mainly in people of the female persuasion. I hear it a lot on TV lately.

PE
    Nasal accent.....we know nothing about that here in Chicagoland
    Andy

Actually, I don't do ignore lists.

But after a 45 page thread, I alzheimer the first 42 pages.

This also enables me to only have to own one book and one DVD.

Sorry about that.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Until I read Blansky’s post I had never heard of Valley Girls. The video was quite entertaining although couldn’t bring myself to watch all of it – OHMYGODDDDD.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I was once working with a couple of Texans in England. The Texans kept using a fake British accent and the local lingo, so one day our English host started faking a Texas accent, using Texas sitcom expressions, and wearing a 10-gallon hat. The Texans had no idea what taht retaliation was about... they were clueless until it was explained to them. HILARIOUS!
    This happens to me. If I am around folks with a different accent, I'll start talking like them without being conscience of it. I was on a grey dog from Modesto to LA, sitting next to a Jewish gas station owner from NY. By the time we hit LA, I was talking in what probably sounded like a fake NY Jewish accent. I packed mules for ten years -- get me around folks talking in the cowboy drawl, and I'll be using the same drawl and idioms before you can get your string on the trail.

I was hitch-hiking in NZ with my girlfriend -- I had been in NZ for 5.5 months, and she just had flown in from the States. She is from Oz, but had been working in the States for about a year. From our accents, people thought I was the Aussie and she was the Yank. Really pissed her off!

PS -- my nephew married a 'Valley Girl" from San Jose, CA. What a piece of work...
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    This happens to me. If I am around folks with a different accent, I'll start talking like them without being conscience of it. I was on a grey dog from Modesto to LA, sitting next to a Jewish gas station owner from NY. By the time we hit LA, I was talking in what probably sounded like a fake NY Jewish accent. I packed mules for ten years -- get me around folks talking in the cowboy drawl, and I'll be using the same drawl and idioms before you can get your string on the trail.

I was hitch-hiking in NZ with my girlfriend -- I had been in NZ for 5.5 months, and she just had flown in from the States. She is from Oz, but had been working in the States for about a year. From our accents, people thought I was the Aussie and she was the Yank. Really pissed her off!

PS -- my nephew married a 'Valley Girl" from San Jose, CA. What a piece of work...
    For many to whom this happens, it seems both autonomic and well-intentioned... to make communication more comfortable and effective. I've never had that talent, but when I get back in New England my old accent starts re-emerging... but always with a west-coast accent. Accent upon accent = ??? I think ??? = outsider. ha ha ha. I don't fit in here and I don't fit in there anymore.

When I was in England I would sometimes become so aware that I sounded "different" that I basically imitated a mute person. I spoke little yet everyone would come up to me and tell me that I was American. I don't know how they could tell. Maybe it was the Levi's... IDK.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's not just accents. My brother has an adopted son, his real father is German and often visits for a couple of weeks at a time. Whilst he is here he seems to pick up an English sense of humour and when he gets home he is told off for being sarcastic.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin