Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,880   Online: 1027

Page 47 of 52 FirstFirst ... 37414243444546474849505152 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    After taking a hit off of a joint, it is almost impossible to say, "Hey dude, want some HERB."

It always comes out as "'ey dude, want some 'erb."

Cough , cough.
    So when one herbs up in the US it is pronounced " 'erbing it up", whilst in Britian it is pronounced "herbing it up, governor". Blimey, what a bloody mess!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    So when one herbs up in the US it is pronounced " 'erbing it up", whilst in Britian it is pronounced "herbing it up, governor". Blimey, what a bloody mess!
    Except a lot of them drop the "h".
    Steve, 'e's not 'appy about 'at- 'he 'ates it, 'e does. Talk 'at way around 'im, and 'e'll be finkin' of killin' yer.
    Last edited by lxdude; 09-01-2012 at 08:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You got me all tuned up for an evening of BBC America, provided they quit showing repeats of "Robin Hood Prince of Thieves", you know, the one with the American cast! Or they may show STTNG, with only one Brit in the cast.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    You got me all tuned up for an evening of BBC America, provided they quit showing repeats of "Robin Hood Prince of Thieves", you know, the one with the American cast! Or they may show STTNG, with only one Brit in the cast.

PE
    In England we really enjoyed watching Robin Hood with an American accent. It was such a good laugh.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That always sounded right to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wish PBS would air the British series Up Pompei again with the adventures of Lurkio, Ammonia, Hernia, Lecherus Maximus, ...
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    In England we really enjoyed watching Robin Hood with an American accent. It was such a good laugh.
    We laughed, too. I mean, it's freakin' Robin Hood, fer gawd's sakes.

It was truly cringe-worthy. Even if Costner had affected a phony English accent it would have been better. A standard American accent without standard American sentence construction just sounds weird.

When I first saw Robin Hood, Men In Tights, when Cary Elwes said, "Because, unlike some other Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent", that got a big laugh from the theater audience.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What's worse than a fake English accent is a fake southern accent. There is a show on broadcast tv here in the US where an actress Kyla Sedgwick plays a police detective or something. Her accent is so overblown as to be a complete turnoff. I stopped watching the show after the first 5 minutes.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 09-01-2012 at 06:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    At least it was a better movie than something like Merlin!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    What's worse than a fake English accent is a fake southern accent. There is a show on broadcast tv here in the US where an actress Kyla Sedgwick plays a police detective or something. Her accent is so overblown as to be a complete turnoff. I stopped watching the show after the first 5 minutes.
    Jerry, I was all over Georgia and Florida from Albany GA to St. Pete and the Cape. I would have to say that in some places I could not understand the people. In fact, My wife lived in FL for years and still has that problem (and when she wants to, that accent and it is real).

Have you ever heard Paula Deen? OMG.

So, I'll have to disagree with a bit of what you say.

What I hate is the growing trend of Valley Girl accents on TV.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin