Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,488   Online: 1132

Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ... 384243444546474849505152 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    What's worse than a fake English accent is a fake southern accent. There is a show on broadcast tv here in the US where an actress Kyla Sedgwick plays a police detective or something. Her accent is so overblown as to be a complete turnoff. I stopped watching the show after the first 5 minutes.
    Kyra Sedgwick , the Closer,

police chief, Brenda Lee Johnson.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

What's worse than a fake English accent is a fake southern accent. There is a show on broadcast tv here in the US where an actress Kyla Sedgwick plays a police detective or something. Her accent is so overblown as to be a complete turnoff. I stopped watching the show after the first 5 minutes.

Deputy police chief, Brenda Leigh Johnson.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post

Deputy police chief, Brenda Leigh Johnson.
    I would baulk at watching either of those.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    All American actors speaking with English accents should have Dick Van Dyke's chimney sweep character in Mary Poppins as a róle model.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Except a lot of them drop the "h".
    Steve, 'e's not 'appy about 'at- 'he 'ates it, 'e does. Talk 'at way around 'im, and 'e'll be finkin' of killin' yer.
    A few years ago we looked after a friend's child for the day so she could go to a wedding. The friend comes from Manchester where it is common to drop the h in speech. The surprising thing was that she dropped the h in writing too. She left us a note along the lines of:

"e as is tea at five then e will ave a sleep at about alf past"

It took quite a bit of reading to work it out.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

One of the styles of speech not mentioned here yet is the strange speech of Valley Girl and also of Surfer Dude.

One feature of Valley Girl was the drawn out "er" at the end of words like Heatherrrrrrrr or whateverrrrrrrr or OHMYGODDDDD. There is usually a trend to raise your voice the end of every sentence. Its amazing how this has permeated the way girls/women all over the US talk now.

For those who don't know "the Valley" means San Fernando Valley, an area of LA that is over the hill from the Westside and obviously Malibu at the beach. Sort of the New Jersey of the west coast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHf089jl9H4

Surfer Dude is pretty well known and is usually a result of too much sun, too much surf and no real idea that the real world exists.Sean Penn in Fast Times at Ridgemont High comes to mind. Also this dude http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-5F_7DwPpo

Actually one of my favorite sayings came one day while down at the beach in Venice CA and some guy was just going to step out to walk across the street and another guy in a BMW was trying to turn right. Just as the guy stepped off the curb the BMW accelerated and hung a right almost hitting the guy. He was livid.

I was standing on the curb as well as a surfer dude, on his beach cruiser bike. The guy that almost got hit was yelling and screaming at the BMW who was by now down the street.

Then out of the mouth of the surfer dude came the enlightenment. He just looked at the guy and said to him, "acknowledge, and move on dude" in his slow surfer drawl. And then proceeded to ride his bike across the street.

Other forms of English that are pretty distinctive are the Bob and Doug McKenzie, put up of Toronto area speak. The whole "hoser" , "is that right eh" dialect of the underemployed Canadian, Leaf fan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What's worse than a fake English accent is a fake southern accent.
    I was once working with a couple of Texans in England. The Texans kept using a fake British accent and the local lingo, so one day our English host started faking a Texas accent, using Texas sitcom expressions, and wearing a 10-gallon hat. The Texans had no idea what taht retaliation was about... they were clueless until it was explained to them. HILARIOUS!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    For those who don't know "the Valley" means San Fernando Valley, an area of LA that is over the hill from the Westside ...
    Damn right it does... but that moniker has, to the utter dismay of the fine people of the Valley, been adopted by many other places with mountains surrounding them. How rude that is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I must be on Blansky's ignore list. I have brought up the "valley girl accent" here before.

More recently it has devolved into a more nasal clipped form of speech and is found mainly in people of the female persuasion. I hear it a lot on TV lately.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I must be on Blansky's ignore list. I have brought up the "valley girl accent" here before.
    I remember that. It was a few years ago though.

Steve.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin