Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,018   Online: 976
      
Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 511
  1. #51
    Mainecoonmaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,999
    Images
    6
    Just let things be. I think world standardization is imperialism. The world is becoming too much the same with Starbucks, Walmart and McDonalds expanding like the creeping crud. Let each country have their own quirks in language. Quirks aside, some standards are logical like how the date is expressed and the metric system.

  2. #52

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,455
    It's very simple. The American language is a corruption, or bastardisation, of the original English. Add to this the fact that too many Americans are illiterate and what do you expect?

  3. #53
    cliveh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    3,332
    Images
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Just let things be. I think world standardization is imperialism. The world is becoming too much the same with Starbucks, Walmart and McDonalds expanding like the creeping crud. Let each country have their own quirks in language. Quirks aside, some standards are logical like how the date is expressed and the metric system.
    But it doesn't help if two or more countries are building a space rocket as a joint venture and using different measurement systems.

    “The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

    Francis Bacon

  4. #54
    Matthew Wagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sandiacre, Nottinghamshire, UK
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    97
    For a long time it bugged me about all the differences between America's use of language, measuring and so on and England's use of language. Now I like to see what we share in common rather than pick out our differences.

    For us in England we drive on the left, most of the rest of the world drives on the right. We use the metric system of measurement (which is more logical) but we still use miles and gallons for our cars. Standardisation would be nice but it makes the world an interesting place to live.
    Vive la difference.

  5. #55

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,070
    I'm very glad that we can all tell time using the same watch!

  6. #56

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    428
    No matter what, the French will do it the opposite way.
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

    "The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

  7. #57
    zsas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    1,962
    Images
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I'm very glad that we can all tell time using the same watch!
    However the same debate ensues when we write it down, some use 12 hour clock notation and other 24 hour clock notation
    Andy

  8. #58
    blansky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Wine country in Northern California
    Posts
    5,029
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    But it doesn't help if two or more countries are building a space rocket as a joint venture and using different measurement systems.
    That's true but there can be a universal language for engineers as there is for pilots and air traffic control.

    Not sure on this but I think when something new is discovered/invented as in the computer industry, that the language of that is universal.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

  9. #59

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,070
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    However the same debate ensues when we write it down, some use 12 hour clock notation and other 24 hour clock notation
    I can deal with that. What I can't deal with is when Oxford declares their time to be 15 minutes after London.

  10. #60

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,455
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I'm very glad that we can all tell time using the same watch!


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_time



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin