Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,796   Online: 976

Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131418 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    What if the engine is in the middle?
    Then you have to reposition yourself to the rear of the car to find the debated engine cover device.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Then you have to reposition yourself to the rear of the car to find the debated engine cover device.
    Or if the engine is in the open? http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/pic/2...Special_1.html

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I always thought hoods were gangsters and trunks are for when you go swimming.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Fast, easy and wrong!

4x5x2 = 40

Steve.
    Absolutely! That's how practical it is. You noticed my mistake immediately, without any complicated calculation
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Consider bonnet and hood. A bonnet is removable and a hood is attached. So, which is the best definition for a car?
    Don't know, but I don't understand why the hood of a bird is supposed to throw arrows.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Today I discovered cliveh is British.

4x5 makes logical sense - which is something you don't associate with the States (!) - but 5x4 is more linguistic and pleasing somehow.
    They'll catch up sooner or later. Either way, too much expense for me, so sometimes I say "4x5" out of spite and jealousy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

It depends..

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I just shoot 5x7 instead. Problem solved.
    If you're shooting portrait or landscape. Landscape is 7x5 and portrait 5x7. I'm assuming you'll be shooting a landscape in the UK and a portrait in the US.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    It's a curious fact that customary units in the USA are actually defined within the metric system. For example the length of the US yard is exactly 3600/3937 metres and the pound is exactly 0.453 592 4277 Kilograms. The change happened in the Mendenhall Order of 1893. An inch may be a convenient unit but you have to ask the metric system to be sure how long it is!
    Yes, the legal definition of US customary units is tied to the metric system.
    However, in 1959 the definitions were changed slightly, so the inch is now defined as exactly 2.54 cm, which is a few ppm different from the older definition you quote.
    An interesting side effect was the need for yet another unit, the "US survey foot", based on the old definition of the inch, so that we would not need to re-define every land ownership document in the nation.
    I refer to 1959 as the year that the US went metric, but did not tell anyone.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I sometimes reply to people who say "my bad" by asking, "your bad WHAT?"
    Well done!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    some standards are logical like how the date is expressed
    Our way or yours? US = mm/dd/yyyy, UK = dd/mm/yyyy.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Large Format
    H L Mencken once said that when one-third of the people who speak a language from early childhood say "goods train" and two-thirds say "freight train", then "freight train" is standard and "goods train" is dialect.
    (Incidentally, the first edition of the Oxford dictionary defined "freight train" as US for "goods train", but neglected to define "goods train".)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin