Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,650   Online: 984

Page 1 of 52 12345671151 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Pedantic question about standardisation

In England we usually and historically refer to 5 X 4 and not 4 X 5. Is 4 X 5 an Americanism? Does most of Europe say 5 X 4 or 4 X 5? However, I like the way they spell colour without the u in America. Do others have views about some of these pedantic differences?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    In England we usually and historically refer to 5 X 4 and not 4 X 5. Is 4 X 5 an Americanism? Does most of Europe say 5 X 4 or 4 X 5? However, I like the way they spell colour without the u in America. Do others have views about some of these pedantic differences?
    As usual America bastardized the language.

In theory we call a vertical, a 4x5 and a horizontal a 5x4.

Although since most Americans are barely educated even with a college degree, we call an 8x10 (vertical) portrait format, and a 10x8, an 8x10 landscape format.

So a horizontal 10x8 print is called 8x10 landscape even if it's a portrait.

Although we do know that a car does not wear a boot or a bonnet and we correctly refer to them as a trunk and a hood.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i always say 5x4 (5,4) it seems to roll off the tongue easier

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    As usual America bastardized the language.
    Actually Americans follow common sense spelling and the use of Latin based words; while the British prefer to use the more archaic "whilst", insert unpronounced letters in words, and use Anglo-Saxon four letter functionals instead of the more literate use of Latin root words. On the other hand Americans are not adverse to using Elizabethan past tense forms such as "thunk" for the past tense of think [drink, drank, drunk]. Both recently have taken to brutalizing the adverbs by hacking off the "-ly" and doing it quite badly.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Maybe it comes from the Printing Trade? I noticed that all the paper sizes in my US references are quoted with the shortest dimension first. This has no relation to the grain, which is indicated independently (either with an underline or the phrase "grain long" or "grain short").

If this has any relation...

What size is A4 paper?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Why not call a faucet a tap? It is a more simple name and have the USA ever thought about going metric? It makes more sense.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Ha....this is a tap in the States:
    http://img5.foodservicewarehouse.com...ndles-2483.jpg
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not call a faucet a tap? It is a more simple name and have the USA ever thought about going metric? It makes more sense.
    Because then we would have to admit someone else is right...

Metric! Our money is metric, that's all that is needed. We tried going metric once. All that meant was having to own two sets of tools to work on one stupid car. And one very expensive Mars probe augering into the planet. We know how far a mile is. When we try to make it meteres we bump into things... Like the ground.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Maybe it comes from the Printing Trade? I noticed that all the paper sizes in my US references are quoted with the shortest dimension first. This has no relation to the grain, which is indicated independently (either with an underline or the phrase "grain long" or "grain short").

If this has any relation...

What size is A4 paper?
    210 × 297mm

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    a faucet would be called a sillcock, but
    we don't use that expression anymore ...

the only time to a tap is suggested to be a sillcock
    is in the word cocktail ...

Page 1 of 52 12345671151 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin