Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,483   Online: 941

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhead View Post
    For example Andy Warhol took photos of Cambell Soup cans and lined them up and called it art.
    He also took photographs from newspapers and printed them in a variety of colours out of register.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Getty took the right and just action against the "odious appropriator".
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    But Warhol didn't abscond with someone else's PICTURES of soup cans.
    But in the case of Warhol, the equivalent analogy is, not the photograph of, but the artwork on, the Cambell Soup cans. Would you be ok with what this guy did if he printed out the Getty stock image, took a photograph of that, and then photoshopped it to make his "art"?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    He also took photographs from newspapers and printed them in a variety of colours out of register.

Steve.

Exactly. And one can think of similar analogs in many other forms of art as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ... Warhol ...
    There is little keeping Warhol from the same opprobrium.

"Politicians, ugly buildings, and whores all get respectable if they last long enough." Noah Cross/'Chinatown'/R. Towne
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Quote Originally Posted by rawhead View Post
    But in the case of Warhol, the equivalent analogy is, not the photograph of, but the artwork on, the Cambell Soup cans. Would you be ok with what this guy did if he printed out the Getty stock image, took a photograph of that, and then photoshopped it to make his "art"?
    I didn't say I was OK with anything he did or really cared what Warhol did.

Warhol, if I remember correctly, took his own pictures of the soup cans and then did his thing.

This guy took someone else work and then mucked them up.

That is the difference I was pointing out.

As far as Campbell Co suing Warhol, they probably thought about it but decided it was good publicity.

If someone took one of my pictures and messed with them I'd sue them. Actually I'd probably go find where they live and fuck them up.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was thinking of Triple Elvis.

The image of Elvis was taken from a publicity still for the film Flaming Star 1960 (Twentieth Century Fox).
    I'm not sure but I don't think he had permission to use the image. I recall reading that he would often use images from magazines.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wrote to the Letters to the Editor at the Sydney Morning Herald (if anyone still reads the print edition :-( )

These are my reflections (as "appropriation" or whatever term you use is a valid artistic procedure IMHO):

<<I hope that Getty Images and the original photographer whose work Ben Ali Ong appropriated are in agreement with Picasso's "stealing" axiom as quoted (or misquoted) by Andrew Frost.

Borrowing is certainly well established in artistic practice; in modern days Joyce's "Finnegan's Wake", Christian Marclay's "The Clock", Luciano Berio quoting Mahler in "Sinfonia", Soda Jerk's video pieces etc. However, and if the Herald's selection of Ong's images depicts them accurately, neither of them shows any evidence of the interpretation, contextualisation, or new vision that would afford the viewer any of the new insights to be found in those and many other works . They really do look like something downloaded, tarted up and merchandised using the easily employed tools of the digital age.>>

Shooter
    35mm
    More information in this thread:

http://www.alamy.com/forums/default....=posts&t=13704

Apparently the "artist", Ong, told the gallery owner that he took the images himself and that he had the negatives of the picture.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin